How to select the Commonly Used Electronic Components?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Daily contact with electronic components is a common practice for engineers, but for beginners, even if they have information about the type of components they need, it is a headache when they browse the merchants to buy them. The datasheet is the same, and there are some additional reference values that differ from the use of different materials. I don't know if it's going to affect the circuit I'm going to use, and it's a waste of time to check and ask with too many qusetions. After all, more than one component is needed.

:confused::confused::confused:

I understand your problem, as a beginner I felt the same. If the circuit designer just gives a certain set of parameters, e.g. value, tolerance, power, then I just match those, but I go with a respected brand from a decent supplier rather than the ebay route.

If you're just taking values from a schematic with no input from the designer, then I suppose it's a case of trial and error, or seek out others who have built that particular circuit.

I read mostly information from this site, along with whatever else I could find for around two years or so before I had a clue as to what to look for, or at least how to investigate/research on a case by case basis for the various positions where the different parts are used.
Then I tried a few things with low cost kits, boards, kept at it for another few years, and I probably still don’t have what half the people take for granted here as far as knowledge.

I self taught myself engineering by working with cars for years, am starting to do the same with electronics.

It would help if there was a list of common terms and their definitions relative to how they are applied to audio design/construction/repair, as done here by many. Even to have it in other languages where common translations fail to give meaningful results perhaps.
Does something like that already exist here on diyaudio?

That’s a great book rayma...

A short list of parts to experiment with, might get you some
practical insight into how components actually behave- that
is relative to the project you are building.

Colin Mitchells articles http://www.talkingelectronics.com
straddle this important step from hypothetical to practical, and as you can see armed with a humble BC547 almost anything can be built with a few passive components.

I would include the 2N7000, as it is extremely versatile and will
provide you with the important differences between in this case mosfets and transistors.

As for opamps the LM833 is good all round performer dual op amp
and learn all you can about the LM317, both as a voltage regulator and current regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.