What are some nice power switches?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know of some aesthetically nice power switches for mains voltage at 8A+?

The only ones I've found that don't look super cheap are standard 12mm thread metal toggle switches (not great) and a Schurter MSM LA 22mm. Pics attached.

But would love to find something prettier :hbeat:

Attachments

• UK_SHR_1241.6824.1121000_PI_D.jpg
    UK_SHR_1241.6824.1121000_PI_D.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 380
  • nkk-switches-s332-kippschalter-125-vac-25-a-2-x-einein-rastend-1-st.png
    nkk-switches-s332-kippschalter-125-vac-25-a-2-x-einein-rastend-1-st.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 385
First one (button) is ok (is good), and there are different ones.
Second one (toggle switch?) - I don't like. It looks like a part of grandfarther's tractor for me. It could be ok only in some special designs.

It could be such a way for powerful audio devices: you make stand-by power unit (for different reasons), so the button can be not powerful, but only signal (to operate relay or something else). It gives posibility to choose from different aestetical types of buttons.

Last edited:
:idea: A touch switch to control a power relay.

You can use any switch that you like, small or large, if the switch controls a relay
that does the actual power switching.

you make stand-by power unit (for different reasons), so the button can be not powerful, but only signal (to operate relay or something else). It gives posibility to choose from different aestetical types of buttons.

Yes I know but then I need to add some standby power supply that is always on.

Try Bulgin

They have a few of the now classic vandal style switches but nothing for mains voltage at around 8+ amps.

Have you considered rotary? Then you can use any knob that takes your fancy

I thought this could be cool but couldn't find a cheapish one that does 8+ amps?

For whatever reason switches don’t seem to exceed around 5-6A without the relay you see.

Someone out there can likely provide the answer, probably due to some construction issue.

Shop Vac switches usually are around 10A, and usually rockers.

If you want a fancy button switch, get the one I posted.

For whatever reason switches don’t seem to exceed around 5-6A without the relay you see.

Someone out there can likely provide the answer, probably due to some construction issue.

Shop Vac switches usually are around 10A, and usually rockers.

If you want a fancy button switch, get the one I posted.

Arcing of the contacts. If you can find a DC rated switch, it will usually handle quite a bit of AC current, because DC is at 100% current all the time, so AC which is only at 100% current a brief moment every half second, will be fine. But DC rated switches are expensive. A low current switch and a relay will be less expensive.

I tested a few different modules.

One of the larger toggle switches feels nice, The NKK S-332, but the force required to switch it is quite large. You would need quite a hefty enclosure just to keep it in place.

Same problem for the Schurter 1241.6831.1120000 MSM22 LA push button model, quite a high amount of force required.

Attachments

• 20181106_214031.jpg
    20181106_214031.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.