Old capacitor replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

New member here. I’m looking to replace this old capacitor in this GE rb1560a record player. Tube amplified. When I turn the player on, all I get is a loud hum that can’t be controlled by any of the volume or eq pots. After researching a little bit, it seems as if this big capacitor is part of the problem. Can someone point me in the direction of what modern caps I can buy to replace this? I am very familiar with guitar electronics and pretty familiar with amp electronics as well. I also only paid $15 for the record player, so I’m perfectly ok with it not ever working again. Looking forward to any help or advice!

Thanks.

Attachments

• BF270342-65B4-4048-BB32-4A67201EED59.jpg
    BF270342-65B4-4048-BB32-4A67201EED59.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 131
Mouser offers 105o C. rated parts made by Panasonic that will get the job done.

Also, look for something that looks like a stack of fins. Such a device is a selenium rectifier, which is a ticking, toxic, time bomb. It is a matter of routine to replace selenium rectifiers with modern silicon parts.

This is great help everyone. Thanks! Any suggestions for what I should replace that with? Will the value be written on it?

This is great help everyone. Thanks! Any suggestions for what I should replace that with? Will the value be written on it?

Unfortunately, it is highly likely that the GE unit is cheaply made and lacks a power transformer. Forum rules prohibit discussion of such unsafe designs. A low cost Triad N-68X isolation transformer can be used to correct the safety issue. Please provide a photo of the whole shebang.

Also, those old consumer players employ piezoelectric cartridges, which damage records. :mad: Do not attempt to play a LP you value on the GE. OTOH, 78 RPM records can be OK.

I believe this to be a simple amplifier. It may or may not have a rectifier tube.

If there is a rectifier tube, there may not be a selenium rectifier stack.

If there is no rectifier tube, there will be a selenium rectifier stack.
You could use 1N4007 or similar diodes, but you should also use a series resistor in order to make up for the voltage drop of the selenium rectifier stack you are replacing.

Zachthompson,

The leftmost tube is a 9 pin 6.3V full wave rectifier, 6CA4, 1 Amp filament, correct?
There will not be a selenium rectifier.

There are two 6AQ5 Pentodes, 0.45 Amp filaments; and a dual triode, 12A_7, 150/300mA filaments? I expect that there is a power transformer.

That might be a power transformer and a choke on the right side, with the output transformer(s) elsewhere, such as on the loudspeaker(s).

It is either stereo single ended, or push pull mono.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.