Polymer caps (SEPC) Vs Silmic II for coupling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have to change the coupling caps in a preamp. There's not too much place to use film caps so I would like to upgrade the tantalums and electrolytic caps in the signal. Silmic II seems to be one of the best electrolytic caps to use in the signal path. Someone mentionned me that organic polymer (SEPC) caps should be better. I never tried them so what do you think about them for signal coupling ?

Thanks

I used to use polymer caps for digital decoupling, where they are not bad, now just main filtering for digital circuits.
They aren’t really what you’d want for analog power let alone in the signal path.

I’d look at the nichicon muse, with a small film bypass.

For coupling or for bypass?

Knowing the circuit in question would likely yield you better answers.

I’ve used polymers in heater supplies for quite a while.

I haven’t seen much of a credible / technical answer for why they wouldn’t be superior to a regular Electrolytic across the board.

To my knowledge none of the more involved studies of caps utilized polymers, just regular electrolytics and bipolars.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.