Replacement fire proof resistors for rusty NAD 216THX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I got a NAD 216THX that spent a good amount of its life in damp storage. After replacing all the caps and relays, it plays quite well. However, on recent checkup I noticed that all the "flame proof" resistors have started to rust?! See the included picture.

These flame proof ones (specifically non fusible) are very hard to find over here in The Netherlands. What would happen if I were to replace them with standard fusible ones?

The values are 680R, 120R, 100R, 33R at 0.25W, and 10R at 2W. Any idea where to find these? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• resrust.jpg
    resrust.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 60
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They look like metal oxide types... OK, so flameproof resistors are often used where failure of a standard part could cause a lot of smoke (and most of us have smoked our fair share of resistors of the years and know just how much smoke that part can make).

Its done to make the product more consumer friendly, imagine the reaction of a user if a small 0.25 watt resistor filled the room with acrid smoke.

You have to make a judgement call, if the parts are on low voltage circuitry then you can replace with whatever you see fit, if they are a specified safety component on high voltage circuitry (such as an SMPS) then you should always use the recommended parts.

(How many diy amps have you seen specify flameproof parts for any of the circuitry ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.