Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Comparing Power Resistors (over 2W)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2018, 09:27 PM   #1
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default Comparing Power Resistors (over 2W)

Lots of ink has been spilled on low tempco resistors, for better or worse. Very little it seems on power resistors.

For my needs the CMF/RN series does just fine for up to about 1W.

Iím not trying to insinuate some life changing alteration of sound between a 2W Vishay or Panasonic, Iím simply curious to sort out the pros and cons of various options and ask you all why you may choose one over another in your own designs.

Wirewounds of course have a lot of things going for them, however may not be prudent to use in some instances due to their inductance.

Aside from WW, thereís two big players: various metal oxides and metal films, some of which are fusible. Thereís carbon film out there as well but they donít seem to be in the same league.

From what I understand the Metal Oxide resistors can handle overload better, and are non-inductive but their specs donít appear as good (at least superficially).

So, I understand this could be viewed as splitting hairs, but if you were to stock up on a handful of these for your builds youíd obviously think it through. Which would you choose and why?

Panasonic ERG (Metal Oxide, 300ppm,
Vishay CPF Industrial (MF, ~100ppm, 1%)
Vishay PR series (some fusible) (MF, ~250ppm, 5%)
Something else?

Iíve had good experiences with all, but my feelings are:

To me the CPF seem curiously small for 1-2W examples, I wonder how well they can dissipate heat. The 3W type is what Iíve used mostly with very good results.

The Panasonic also has a wide variety of special types within the ERG series, the X type being quite useful.

Again, the PR series has fusible types which is appealing.

Where do you use Fusibles? Where do you use WW?
Old 17th October 2018, 10:24 PM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Wirewounds of course have a lot of things going for them, however may not be prudent to use in some instances due to their inductance.

Where do you use WW?
Wirewound resistors are wound "bi-filar" (back on themselves) to cancel any inductance.

I have used wirewounds with output transistors for about 40 years with good results.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:43 PM   #3
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

My understanding was that was only with the non-inductive types- ie Mills or Vishay NS series.

For tube circuits isnít this problematic?

Morgan Jones says the inductance is a non issue above 20k or so, however.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
RajkoM is offline RajkoM  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Already I use Caddock MP series (with or without heatsink) everywhere: grid-stop, bias, anode, xover ....
3-4 euros/pcs in eu.mouser.
Try once, I believe you will be satisfied.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:28 PM   #5
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

For something a little out of the ordinary, try the Isabellenhutte PBH Manganin resistors - Elfa keeps some values
Old 21st October 2018, 12:56 PM   #6
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Yep, recommended !

I use the Isabellenhuette PBH resistors in crossovers and as high power resistors.
They're 3 watt and with heatsink 10 watt.
I buy them at Buerklin
In the current noise resistor test doc they're the best, see page 10 figure 8, line at the bottom (zoom in the graph for better distinction in line styles)

Comparing Power Resistors (over 2W)Hide this!Advertise here!