Comparing Power Resistors (over 2W)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lots of ink has been spilled on low tempco resistors, for better or worse. Very little it seems on power resistors.

For my needs the CMF/RN series does just fine for up to about 1W.

I’m not trying to insinuate some life changing alteration of sound between a 2W Vishay or Panasonic, I’m simply curious to sort out the pros and cons of various options and ask you all why you may choose one over another in your own designs.

Wirewounds of course have a lot of things going for them, however may not be prudent to use in some instances due to their inductance.

Aside from WW, there’s two big players: various metal oxides and metal films, some of which are fusible. There’s carbon film out there as well but they don’t seem to be in the same league.

From what I understand the Metal Oxide resistors can handle overload better, and are non-inductive but their specs don’t appear as good (at least superficially).

So, I understand this could be viewed as splitting hairs, but if you were to stock up on a handful of these for your builds you’d obviously think it through. Which would you choose and why?

Panasonic ERG (Metal Oxide, 300ppm,
Vishay CPF Industrial (MF, ~100ppm, 1%)
Vishay PR series (some fusible) (MF, ~250ppm, 5%)
Something else?

I’ve had good experiences with all, but my feelings are:

To me the CPF seem curiously small for 1-2W examples, I wonder how well they can dissipate heat. The 3W type is what I’ve used mostly with very good results.

The Panasonic also has a wide variety of special types within the ERG series, the X type being quite useful.

Again, the PR series has fusible types which is appealing.

Where do you use Fusibles? Where do you use WW?

Wirewounds of course have a lot of things going for them, however may not be prudent to use in some instances due to their inductance.

Where do you use WW?

Wirewound resistors are wound "bi-filar" (back on themselves) to cancel any inductance.

I have used wirewounds with output transistors for about 40 years with good results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.