How to make an air gap for a double C transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I am gearing up to make my very first single ended output transformer. I have decided on using a double C core since it is much easier to put a double c core together than it is to sit there and stack a bunch of EI lamination's.

I know I will need an air gap between the two halves of the C cores, but I do not know the best way to actually establish this gap. I have found a few posts saying that they used a strip of thick paper in between the cores, but I'm concerned that as I band the cores together I might crush the paper and it might not result in a uniform air gap.

I have read the radiotron handbook and several articles, and they all tell me what I NEED to do, but not HOW to actually manufacture such a thing.

Im aiming for a standing DC current of around 90ma at 3K.

Joined 2011
I will need an air gap between the two halves of the C cores, but I do not know the best way
to actually establish this gap. I have found a few posts saying that they used a strip of thick paper
in between the cores, but I'm concerned that as I band the cores together I might crush the paper
and it might not result in a uniform air gap.

Kapton if there is a smooth surface and thin is needed. Nomex for a very tough and somewhat
thicker gap. Or use fiberglass if a thick gap is needed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.