How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll reply if he won't :)

One Class-A monoblock, toroidal transformer, 12 Watts output power.

1) How big the toroid should be ? As I've heard, it shall be quite oversized for very good results. 200VA for example for that 12 Watt tube power? Or more ? Less ?

2) rectifying with diodes, Graetz-bridge, no tubes. Buffer capacitor will be one huge electrolytics with about 100,000 uF (0,1 F) for lowest 50-Hz ripple. A small ceramic or metal-film capacitor with small capacity (for example 470uF) will be parallel-connected with it, just to avoid the lush slow sound of the big one and improve highs.

What about that all ?

Can I find diodes on the market which are capable of feeding such a big electrolitycs constantly? (They will be protected for over-Ampers when turning on the device, of course).

Any other ideas for that all rectifying and filtering?

3) Is there any need of stabilizing the supply for the tube circuit (all DC of course)?

4) Heating will be 6,3V DC, separate transformer, whole separate circuit, even turning-on the amp will happen in two steps:
1st switch on, heating enabled. Wait for 1-2 minutes. Then 2nd switch on, amp enabled and usable.

Now the question follows here, too: how big (or small) transformer should I choose for the heating's 6,3V DC ? There are 4 tubes per monoblock, all of them requiring 6,3V DC heating at different mA values. 2x365mA + 800mA + 1,6A.

I go further: does heating need to be stabilized? Is it completely unnecessary, or does it have a sense, even if not too much ? Will I hear the difference?

Thank you :)

bmpa said:
How do I diy Hi-End filter power supply and power cord?
I can't tell you much about power supplies. But a good power cable can be made from good speaker cable - braided or twisted, connected to a good mains plug - MK Toughplug for example, and a good tight-fitting IEC plug at the other end. You must clean and polish all contacts with Brasso or similar, screw things down tight, and treat all surfaces with Deoxit or similar contact enhancer. This will give you a good power cable, which may or may not be worth it's cost. Compared to a 'normal' one it may solidify bass and clean the sound up.

Of course, if you need earth, you need another wire... ;)

analog_sa said:
is interested in mains filtering and not the design of power suppies

That was my interpretation of the original question.

If correct, and bmpa is interested in filtering the mains, my suggestion is to buy a surplus isolation transformer, or two of them _grin_

My reasoning is that quite possibly you could buy the complete setup cheaper as business or industrial salvage than you could buy the parts.

Not much DIY involved, but cheaper and easier.

I have two 1450 watt Powervar's. I just plug one Powervar into the other Powervar, and plug all of the audio stuff into the powervar that's at the end of the chain.

Works well, and is cheap.

Regards

Ken L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.