main 10000uf power caps exceeding V-loss having 1,5% V-loss

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
robert2017 said:
yes I think V-loss is leakage current but they invented the term Vloss maybe it measure leakage and a few other parameters combined ?
Yes, it probably combines leakage current and capacitance value and an unknown time. As such it tells you precisely nothing at all. About the best it can do is compare two capacitors of the same nominal value to see which one leaks the most - this is in many cases not very useful information.

Originally Posted by robert2017
so if the leakage is let's say 2% for a 10000uf cap this is bad for the amp ?
IF it means leakage current, it´s not a constant value by any means but depends on applied voltage, and more probable than not, it´s a complex non linear function, plus in any case, it can be presumed to decrease with decreasing remaining voltage, in principle tending asymptotically to zero or some very very low value.

Since none of these values is mentioned or stated or explained, your incomplete "definition" (to put it mildly) remains meaningless.

At least we would need a curve showing Vloss vs. applied instantaneous voltage (since it´s presumed varying along time) or at least a universally accepted definition, such as "Vloss is measured X seconds after Y volts are applied to the capacitor" , "Y volts being Z% of capacitor rated voltage" .
This definition *can* be expressed as a single % value as that meter screen shows.

Pity is that I just invented it to meet visible constraints, nobody says it meets what the meter makers think.

I don't believe you . I have 2 Mega328 testers and for new high values caps like 10000uf they show V-loss having 0,1% ar even much low . When is ultra low won't even show any V-loss reading .

For small values like 47uf with Mega328 you will get readings of 0,4-0,6% for good caps.

There are charts with Vloss what is accepted and what is not I posted bellow
I’m sorry you don’t believe me :rolleyes: I think you are completely missing the point that “Vloss” is not an actual measurement that anyone here has heard of.

Ok so I've had a look at some source code for an ESR meter and we have the following pseudocode:

Code:
* charge DUT with up to 500 pulses until it reaches 300mV */
* if 300mV are not reached DUT isn't a cap or much too large (>100mF) */
* if 1300mV are reached with one pulse, we got a small cap */
* 10ms pulses (>47µF) */
* set mode to 1ms charging pulses (<47µF)and re-run with 1ms pulses (<47µF) */

*  Check if DUT sustains the charge and get the voltage drop.
*  Run for the same time as before (minus the 10ms charging time).
*  - This gives us the approximation of the leakage.
*  - The charge required for the ADC conversion can be neglected because
*    C_S/H is just 14pF (very small vs. DUT).

*  Take a second measurement with a specific delay to determine the self-discharge leakage current.

*  Calculate the self-discharge leakage current - with Q = C * U and I = Q / t  we get I = C * U_diff / t

*  Raw = RescaleValue(Value, Scale, -8);    /* rescale to 10nA */
*  Cap->I_leak = Raw;                       /* leakage current (in 10nA) */

It seems that basically the 'VLoss' is a relabelled Leakage Current measurement that is derived as part of the capacitance measurement:

Code:
  /*
   *  Check if DUT sustains the charge and get the voltage drop.
   *  - Run for the same time as before (minus the 10ms charging time).
   *  - This gives us the approximation of the leakage.
   *  - The charge required for the ADC conversion can be neglected because
   *    C_S/H is just 14pF (very small vs. DUT).
   */

if (Flag == 3)
  {
    /* check self-discharging for measuring period */
    TempInt = Pulses;
    while (TempInt > 0)
    {
      TempInt--;                        /* descrease timeout */
      U_Drop = ReadU(Probes.ADC_1);     /* get voltage */
      U_Drop -= U_Zero;                 /* zero offset */
      wdt_reset();                      /* reset watchdog */
    }

/* calculate voltage drop */
    if (U_Cap > U_Drop) U_Drop = U_Cap - U_Drop;
    else U_Drop = 0;

/* if voltage drop is too large, consider DUT not to be a cap */
    if (U_Drop > 100) Flag = 0;

/*
     *  Take a second measurement with a specific delay to 
     *  determine the self-discharge leakage current.
     */

U_Zero = ReadU(Probes.ADC_1);       /* get start voltage */

if (Mode & PULL_10MS)     /* > 47µF */
    {
      wait1000ms();
    }
    else                      /* < 47µF */
    {
      wait100ms();
    }

TempInt = ReadU(Probes.ADC_1);      /* get voltage after delay */

/* calculate voltage drop */
    if (U_Zero > TempInt) U_Zero -= TempInt;
    else U_Zero = 0;
  }
Code:
  /*
   *  calculate capacitance
   *  - use factor from pre-calculated LargeCap_table

The term 'VLoss' is not specified within this particular ESR meter's source code but the 'leakage current' is feasibly just relabelled in the other meters when they copied the code.

Who knows. :shrug:

From EEV Blog:

Re: What is better to use to determine the leakage of capacitors?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 08:08:53 pm »
That is nonsens, my analog leakage tester goes to 600V and the advantage of an analog meter is that you see if it is constant leaking or pulsing (and close to going short) Digital or analog has nothing to do with the height of output. The leakage itself is analog

There is no hidden leak, it is just the oxidelayer that leaks. If that is locally to thin it will pass current while rebuilding the oxide. If the leakage is to high it heats up the layer, electrolyte vaporizes and without that the oxide layer can not recover. The thinner the layer the lower the minimum leakage voltage becomes.

As far as I know the Vloss on your meter is no component parameter but a sort off "fault" of the meter, stated in the original design documentation. There is a huge topic about it.
Straight from the mouth of the horse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.