Opamp shelf life - Jan 2017 - sealed plastic bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
For hand-soldering, I don't see any need to worry about the moisture content of the ICs. That's more of an issue for oven reflow, where humidity in the IC packages can cause the package to crack during soldering.

If the ICs are still in their sealed bag with desiccant and humidity detector card showing all blue circles, I'd be even less concerned.

Tom

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Is this a joke?

Nope. Shelf life is a thing. See the docs I just linked to.

It's not like the components go bad. It's just that the packages (i.e. the plastic/ceramic that surrounds the IC, bond wires, and lead frame) will crack and damage the component if you attempt oven reflow with a package that has too much water absorbed in it.

Tom

Different surface mount packages have different moisture sensitivity levels. It's sometimes frustrating to find the MSL rating, but it's usually defined somewhere in the data sheet or on the manufacturer's web site. Digikey usually lists a part's MSL on the product's page, and that can sometimes be a simple way to get the information. MSL 1 requires no special handling, but anything higher requires storage in a dry environment. Check the packaging when you get the parts - it will be correct, and will give you a window after the package was opened.

I'm sure that most here will know that epoxy package semis are not hermetically sealed. When I did design work for industry, finished boards all had to be tropicalized to help prevent ingress in both the boards and components. An opamp or similar would soon degrade living in a damp factory

If those parts have been baged then there's no problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.