5 pin cap, what to connect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
For a repair case replacing main capacitors (one has failed) i ordered 2 pcs of KEMET ALF20G223EH063, which turns out have 5 pins.
The two ones closest to the negative marking on the foil are stamped "-" in the metal terminal itself, two others are stamped "+" and one has no stamp.
See the attached image.

The supplied datasheets and product catalogue from Farnell doesn't tell which pins are supposed to do what.
I recall the case with other multipin caps to be, that normally there is only one positive and one negative terminal, and the rest are only for mechanical stability and should be left not connected.
But the stampings on this one makes me doubt.
I ohm'ed the two negative terminals, and they are appearantly internally connected,
I also ohm'ed the two positive terminals, and they are not internally connected.

1) Do I need to connect both positive marked terminals two +V ?
2) Do I need to connect both negative marked terminals to -V ?

Thank you in advance
regards Henrik

Attachments

• Kemet ALF20G.jpg
    Kemet ALF20G.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 158
If you have a capacitance meter you can measure any capacitance at each pin relative to negative terminal.
If you only have DVM then using the resistance (ohms) setting will give an initial reading of low resistance that will climb as the capacitor slowly charges.
Thus you can identify which of the 3 terminals are connected and which are dummy.

The first I measured it, there wasn't - now there is.
it might have been a mistake the first time.

I am/was fearing that the two pairs of pins where leading to two sets of foils/electrolyte inside. I was hoping someone would know for sure what was what.

I guess I will have to connect both positives in parallel and the two negatives as well, just to be sure.

They (caps) will work better, if you (TS) connect both terminals. (First "-" is "input", second "-" is "output", and the same for the "+").

"
• Reliable electrical contacts
• High ripple current
• Excellent surge voltage capability
"
- it is if you connect all four terminals (as "inputs", "outputs"). I totally agree with previous orator.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.