Go / no-go op amp tester help request

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a good circuit for testing if an op amp is still functional vs. dead? I've tried to search the forums, but the algorithm dislikes anything with less than 4 letters... :p. Googling has shown me a few options, such as:

Dual Op Amp Tester Kit (#6783) | NightFire Electronics LLC

and

Tester for 555 Timer and 741 Op-amp ICs - RadioRadar

However, these won't work with all op amps. For example, the first one has issues with any op amp that isn't unity gain stable. I know that a simple go / no go is a fairly complex issue when it comes to op amps and there is a lot to take into account. Is there anything out there that could do the job without needing a scope and multimeter? Heck, even something Arduino based could be fun.

Thanks guys :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The NightFire plan should work even with fussy opamps. The HF gain is near infinite, not unity; and the PFB will slam it around anyway.

It is "possible" a way-off-spec opamp could flash the lights yet behave badly in more critial work, This is the flaw in ALL "testers"-- they test what they test, not what you need in your specific case.

So I ended up building the NF one, and it works very well indeed. Gave me the info I needed :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Op amp tester.jpg
    Op amp tester.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.