Passive eq stage for mixer??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if this is the right place (or even the right forum???) so admins feel free to move it...

Hi peeps... I'm looking to build a mixer for live performance and have recently become obsessed with removing as much power from the build as possible...

I've found a way of building a good passive mixer... I was wondering if it would be possible to add a simple 3 band eq to each input? The only circuits I've seen online either need 5/12v to power it or they don't work...

The mixer comes from :

YouTube

I'm just going to change the inputs to 3.5mm with an rca output.

If it is possible to have a passive (not powered... In case its not the same thing) eq to add the circuit... I understand it'll be pretty quiet... I'm looking into a possible powered pre amp (possibly headphone?) to output too before the signal hits the final output... Ideally id like to have an eq on each channel

As its my first post it may take a while to respond...

Quick background on me... I used to build guitar stomp boxes with a good degree of success... And I do old console repairs...so I'm good for soldering... Just not good enough to build my own from scratch...

Thanks peeps

Here is just ONE example among many of battery powered mixers:
Behringer XENYX 1002B - Battery-Operated 10-Channel Audio 1002B

That example has a power adaptor for regular use, but it also has a battery chamber for 9v batteries which it can run on.

Most battery powered mixers are designed for good battery life - as in not a lot of LEDs or other powr sucking things. How long will a battery last? I have no idea, but if I have to put $3 of battery into it for each gig, that will be fine. You can extend battery life by turning it off during breaks, etc.

That example has 10 channels and is on the large end of the scale. There are also ones with only a couple channels. Get what you need. For more examples google "battery audio mixer". Sometimes called "field mixer".

I know, you want to build something. If nothing else use these as examples to build from. Point being all these commercial products means it can in fact be done - battery powered mixer.

Just my opinion, but a passive mixer is the sort of thing I knock together on my bench for some special hookup. Not something I would use. A mixer with gain lifts your signals up away from teh noise floor. mics are weak signal sources already, and to slice the heart from them with passive circuits makes them even weaker.

I actually think you've hit the nail right on the head with that mixer...

I don't know why i didn't look for them myself... I guess I just didn't think they would be a thing... It has more than enough inputs for me... May still build something myself later in but this is perfect for me and probably works out much cheaper and easier!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.