Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

RF Relays suitability for AF switching
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Kris0603 is offline Kris0603  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default RF Relays suitability for AF switching

So, i had some relays kicking around for decades, they are Hi-G 2K series, DPDT with 26.5 and 12V coil voltage.

I don't build any RF stuff but i was thinking of using one as an input selector in an upcoming project. Anyone with experiences with these, suggestions for suitable drive circuits, anything? I want to use these for the point-to-point look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi-g.jpg (330.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 16th September 2018, 03:46 PM   #2
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Relay contacts are either for high current (amps) and built to withstand arcing or low current (milliamps) and made so they don't tarnish & offer resistance to the small current.
Those look like high current relays.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply!

I think what's special about these are that they are designed and built to aerospace specs, so they withstand adverse conditions, better than standard grade, presumably.

Found a datasheet, seems they should be OK switching line level AF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2K_relay.pdf (46.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Kris0603; 16th September 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Monte McGuire is online now Monte McGuire
diyAudio Member

As long as these relays are new or haven't been chewed up switching inductive loads, they should be excellent for low level audio switching. They're hermetically sealed, and have gold coated contacts, so they will have excellent low level performance.

The coils are pretty low impedance, 12V @ 160Ω and 26.5V @700Ω, so you might have to use a slightly beefy transistor to drive them, if you want to control them with a logic signal. They also have no clamping diode, so make sure to add that if you control them with a transistor. A simple NPN with emitter to ground and collector to one side of the coil, with the other side attached to 12V or 26.5V as appropriate would work, along with a reverse biased diode across the coil to clamp its switch-off inductive kickback. Add a resistor in series with the base to limit the logic drive current to the Vbe junction - that value will depend on how much drive your logic can provide.
Old 18th September 2018, 06:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sweet, that is exactly what i was after, many thanks Monte!

RF Relays suitability for AF switchingHide this!Advertise here!