RF Relays suitability for AF switching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, i had some relays kicking around for decades, they are Hi-G 2K series, DPDT with 26.5 and 12V coil voltage.

I don't build any RF stuff but i was thinking of using one as an input selector in an upcoming project. Anyone with experiences with these, suggestions for suitable drive circuits, anything? I want to use these for the point-to-point look.

Attachments

• hi-g.jpg
    hi-g.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the reply!

I think what's special about these are that they are designed and built to aerospace specs, so they withstand adverse conditions, better than standard grade, presumably.

Found a datasheet, seems they should be OK switching line level AF.

Attachments

• 2K_relay.pdf
    46.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
As long as these relays are new or haven't been chewed up switching inductive loads, they should be excellent for low level audio switching. They're hermetically sealed, and have gold coated contacts, so they will have excellent low level performance.

The coils are pretty low impedance, 12V @ 160Ω and 26.5V @700Ω, so you might have to use a slightly beefy transistor to drive them, if you want to control them with a logic signal. They also have no clamping diode, so make sure to add that if you control them with a transistor. A simple NPN with emitter to ground and collector to one side of the coil, with the other side attached to 12V or 26.5V as appropriate would work, along with a reverse biased diode across the coil to clamp its switch-off inductive kickback. Add a resistor in series with the base to limit the logic drive current to the Vbe junction - that value will depend on how much drive your logic can provide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.