Modern looking speaker cloth - where to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

You all have seen Amazon echo, google home, some B & O and other cloth covered speakers which have quite modern looking speaker cloth. Where to get similar one? amazon and ebay for "speaker cloth" show either dull looking, "generic" designs, or some vintage replicas for old speaker refurbishment, but I don't want vintage, I want that modern look. Any ideas?

which have quite modern looking speaker cloth. .... amazon and ebay for "speaker cloth" show either dull looking, "generic" designs, or some vintage replicas for old speaker refurbishment, but I don't want vintage, I want that modern look. Any ideas?
Please show us a couple pictures of what you call "modern look", Amazon and others have thousands of speaker cabinets.
FWIW what you are searching might not even be cloth at all.

Yes that's right. I need more clarification. Currently, two kinds of grill cloths are available. So called "flat", with no visible texture, and "textured" ones, where you can see individual lines of cloth having various color, forming various patterns etc. The problem is with "textured" ones. The pattern/line size is well suited for large, such as bookshelf and floor or PA speakers, but when you apply same cloth to smaller speaker, such as amazon echo or whatsoever, it looks very rough. Since fibers are too large and distance between them is also way too big.

To get idea what I need, here's link to amazon's Echo case:

Amazon.com: Amazon Echo Dot Case (fits Echo Dot 2nd Generation only) - Charcoal Fabric: Amazon Devices

Or another bluetooth speaker with cloth on it exactly like I need:

Amazon.com: Jonter Fashion Bookshelf Bluetooth Speaker, Desktop Round Speaker with Fabric&Metal Surface, 10W Subwoofer, Built-in Mic Handsfree Phone Calling, TF Card Slot & AUX Cable(Gray): Cell Phones & Accessories

And it is actually a cloth. I have several such speakers and I can clearly see and feel it is a cloth, not plastic or metal or print.

I checked a small local fabric store, which has quite limited choice, but still got some results.

Hessian is not good, because it is rough, net size is too big, material not flat, and can be easily torn by nail. The best suiting what I have found is Heather fabric, it has exactly same look and feel what I need, but the problem is, that it is very dense and heavy, as shopkeeper said, it is used for men's pants. So I need something similar, but less dense. Shopkeeper also noted, that I might be looking for simple cotton fabric, which just has heather fabric pattern printed on it.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....can be used as speaker cloth?

They sell it to cover acoustic absorption; to "let sound in". It will work just as well to "let sound out".

Any fabric will have a high-cut frequency. Heavy sweat-pant fabric will cut 10KHz. Thin fabrics have very low (not zero) absorption to the top of the audio band. (If the fluff is less than 0.07" it is <1/10 wavelength at 20KHz and can not have large absorption.)

You also want to know if it can be "handled" without snags and grime. Acoustical absorbers are expected to "look good" at least long enough for the client to process a check (sometimes months), and usually longer so the job can be used as reference for new customers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use the Guilford cloth, it's very nice and the choices are wide. They have some dedicated speaker cloth, but most is for acoustic panels. That's what I use. Be prepared for sticker shock on the shipping. A single yard will set you back as much in shipping as the cost of the fabric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.