Cap dissipation factor for 100kHz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy. I'm thinking about an electronics project which isn't audio but rather a ZVS induction heater based on the Mazilli Flyback converter. Cheap eBay models have caps which produce large amounts of heat and run at too low a resonant frequency. As I browsed the likes of Wima FKP 4 caps I note that dissipation factors for 100kHz aren't shown for capacitance greater than 0.1uF. I'm looking at a design with 6 x 0.22uF capacitance and a work coil which would target a resonance of circa 135kHz. Obviously I'd like to minimise heat emission from the caps. So wondering why dissipation factors aren't provided for these.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The first Wima FKP 4 datasheet I found does list temp rise. For 10 deg C rise, a 0.22uFd can only be worked at 50V-60V, kinda no matter what the cap's DC voltage is.

Obviously there is current. A quick sim for 0.22u 70V(pk) 135KHz gives 13 Amps peak, which is a lot for a small part if worked continually.

Attachments

• SGK-1.gif
    SGK-1.gif
    60.2 KB · Views: 119
  • SGK-2.gif
    SGK-2.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 121
Hi. Thanks for pointing out how to read that part of the datasheet correctly. I hadn't made it into simulating the circuit yet. The eBay purchased model's circuit is this:

1000WattInductionHeaterSchematic.jpg

and the circuit was originally developed by Marko who is this guy: 500W Royer induction heater | Marko's science site.

With my work coil (not the supplied one - see below) the eBay board (with 6 x 0.33uF) runs at 104kHz. I am powering it via a Mean Well RSP-750 48V PSU. [Surprisingly, for me at least, limited at circa 12A the supply only produces about 38V DC. Not sure why given the PSU is operating well within spec.]

I see Vpp of 218V (77Vrms) and a frequency of 104kHz on my scope when probing across the coil. This is relatively close to the 110kHz resonate frequency computed via f = 1/(2*Pi*SQRT(L*C)) when using 6 x 0.33uF of capacitance and 1.056uH for the work coil (air coil, 7 turns, 1.25" diameter and 1.25" length).

The caps produce a lot of heat and for the annealing application I want commercial implementations run at frequencies starting at 135kHz. So I started to look around for low dissipation caps and noted the original author's comment re caps in the original schematic.

What did you sim to get your current estimate? Of course the sinusoidal current would be spread over the 6 parallel caps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.