Any replacement for 2SJ115 / 2SK405?

I search for an active replacement for the 2SJ115/2SK405 and only found that IRFP240/IRFP9240 could be a possible replacement? Mouser have them anyway. Is there any else that can replace them that are active an not discontinued?

Last edited:
toshiba didn't make (never made) lateral mosfets.
the pinouts are different from laterals for a reason.
the 2sk1530/2sj201 were the "next generation" or "new and improved" versions of the 2sk405 and 2sj115. they were all vertical. the 2sk405 and 2sj115 were even available in a couple of grades of threshold voltage, though none quite as low as the hitachi laterals. i think the toshibas were available for a while from Sony with gold leads and used in some of sony's "extreme" audio products :). this was a while ago.

generally speaking, laterals and verticals are NOT interchangeable.

As usual, Patrick is giving you guys some GOOD info - pay attention!
Look at the data sheets! they are all still available.

mlloyd1

Reactions: 1 user
suggests they are

There are 5 types of MOSFETs :

- Lateral, single planar diffusion, gate is flat and horizontal, gate/source/drain in one plane (LMOSFET)
- Vertical, double diffusion, V-shaped gate, drain on bottom of substrate (VMOSFET)
- Trench, double diffusion, horizontal gate, embedded in SiO2, drain on bottom (TMOSFET)
- Double diffusion, gate is flat and horizontal, drain on bottom (DMOSFET)
- Lateral Double diffusion, gate/source/drain in one plane, single diffusion plus ion implantation, newest type of MOSFET (LDMOSFET)

J115/K405 were developed by a daughter company of Toshiba, they're first generation Pi-MOS
J200/K1529 and J201/K1530 are 2nd generation, Pi-MOS-II
Pi-MOS is DMOS, neither Lateral not Vertical, something inbetween the two.

jacco,
nice presentation.

DMOS = Double-Diffused-Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor. The drain on bottom architecture grants a vertical character (big reverse transfer capacitance). Regarding the TK15J50D, such a low reverse transfer capacitance is just not possible with DMOS technology, but rather with LDMOS technology.
I would stick to the old generation unimproved 2SK405.

The D in TK15J50D stands for DMOS according to Toshiba product guides.
Any reason why Toshiba prefers to designate it as a DMOS technology part instead of LDMOS ?

Toshiba started LDMOS development in the 2nd half of the 90s.
Oldest datasheet of an π-MOS-Ⅶ part I have is from 2003, also has a low Crss number.

I do not disagree with your statements, but in my categorization, when drain is not aligned horizontally with source and gate, it is a vertical structure where drain and gate entirely overlap and a large reverse transfer capacitance is added to the input capacitance, causing a considerably varying transconductance with drain-gate signal excursion.
The ion implantation you mentioned almost certainly pertains to the high doping of inversion channel introduced into LDMOS in order to increase transconductance, undesirable in audio use.

Firstly, the 2SK1530/2SJ201 is more powerful and when having the same Vgs off rank, can directly replace the 2SJ115/2SK405.
A small reverse transfer capacitance is very important for frequency response, it means higher bandwidth and less Gm variation. I am still not sure about the TK15J50D.

Suffix on SK1529/J200

Someone may know, what does the A stand for on 2SK1529A and 2SJ200A?

(I found this on Wikipedia " Then follows the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association's Electronic DEvice REgistration Center (JEITA-EDEREC)-assigned part number, optionally followed by suffixes (such as "A", "B", "C", or "R", "O", "BL", standing for "Red", "Orange", "Blue" etc.) to denote variants, such as tighter hFE (gain) groupings.[1][2]”

so suspect its down to a tighter Vgs grouping, maybe on earlier transistors. Just would be nice to know)

(Its for a SonyHFE-3000ES rebuild that someone botched the repair of)

It’s been a while since I looked at the data sheets so would have to look to be sure. Guessing either an improved or a higher voltage version. Bottom line out of production and hard to find original new old stock. Be very careful buying off ebay, lots of fakes out there

Last edited: