Any idea what a 7 pin Septar socket with heatsinks would be for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just very curious after seeing the part and not being able to find anything about it through search / Google, etc.

CONNEX-73299.jpg

ConneX Socket 7 Pin *PTFE Heatsinked Pins Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze Contacts.

:confused:

Somehow my edited text didnt get through. Looking at the other picture, it is clear that one heatsink ist attached to the thick pin, and the other two connects to two thin pins. On the 6C33C the thick pin is the plate, and the two pins that are bridged with the heatsink are for the heater. So indeed, it must be a socket designed for the 6C33C.

never seen this before, but I think it is a good idea. What I dont know is if Teflon is a good product for a tube that gets so hot.

Attachments

• 6c33c_scoket.png
    6c33c_scoket.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 108
I have some NOS teflon noval sockets that I like a lot, sturdy built! But NOS russians are as good.

IIRC someone here posted about some bad experiences with Yamamotos in 300B amplifiers - he had to replace them after a while. Something that teflon keeps changing shape over time and sockets had no good contact anymore. Also, just checked Yamamoto (if I had the spelling right) and came across Jac Music's site, where he writes that the Teflon is not good for the 6C33C due to heat.

Yamamoto Soundcraft / Teflon Sockets and parts

What I sometimes think: nowadays there is still some innovation and new products in the tube/valve segment, but most of the times mostly out of fashion than real engineering. Like apparently teflon sockets for 6C33C. Other one I dont like about the yamamoto sockets is that the contact pins are held tightly in place with the nuts, that is, there is no "playing" within the socket. I prefer the sockets were one can wiggle the tube a bit, that is, that when the tube is inserted the contact pins are tight around the tube pins, but a bit "loose" within the socket, so that, when the tube expands while hot, the contact pins can freely move in the (ceramic) socket. Maybe I am too worried, I have no proof for this. But, very nice sockets can be had for little money (NOS russian, and new production from Belton), so I dont see a need at all for expensive yamamotos or other exotics!

Last edited:
I picked up some of the CNC'd Bakelite sockets a while back. I like them too. There's no logical reason why you'd use them, Teflon is a better dielectric and ceramic is better for handling heat... but Bakelite just brings back fond memories of vintage radio gear... probably makes as much sense as using paper in wax capacitors these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.