Parts Storage, Organization and Labeling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY / Ikea Parts Storage Hacks

Sometimes, this just doesn’t cut it:

IMG_7922.JPG

(For me at least)

After a big move and realizing the practical issues involved with moving a bunch of half finished projects, PCBs, transformers and so on... a generally disorganized workbench, I’ve thought quite a bit about more optimal storage solutions for parts storage.

Since ikea is available all over the world and is generally thought of as affordable, I figured it would be a good place to start to share ideas on different storage methods and perhaps alterations to existing ikea designs. Of course, if you have helpful ideas not sourced from ikea those are also welcome.

While the traditional parts drawer is useful, it isn’t always ideal for all sizes or amounts of parts. For me it doesn’t represent a full picture of a storage solution. So, how do we fill in the gaps?

I’m wondering: who has done some DIY parts storage and what does it look like? Pics appreciated!

——

For myself I’ve begun with some of the Sockerbit series. By no means a complete solution it was more of a triage to deal with packing, but I like them quite a bit.

IMG_7920.JPG

The open bins are quite useful for parts sorting and assembly. They also hold most of my tools and other frequently used things when not in use. The closed bins are easily labeled with a piece of tape and marker over it or if you’d prefer right on the box.

They are fairly unobtrusive looking, stack well and fit nicely on most shelves. They are not transparent, which some might find to be a mark against them however I look at it as a big plus. I’d rather use labeling and have a solution which looks more tidy.

Anyhow, just one option amongst many. Quite curious to see what the rest of you have done.

Picture is not my own- taking one of my current disarray would be embarrassing!

Last edited:
I really like the shelf units you posted, the easily adjusted/added shelves could be very handy.

I used to think I preferred clear bins, but as time goes on, I want to see less. I'm fairly consistent with labeling, so I don't have a strong need to see inside.

I've spent more time than I would like to admit thinking about, and attempting to implement some decent storage/organizational system for all the various projects and parts.

I'm lucky to have a not-tiny closet in my home office, so I built some quick plywood bookshelves at the back of the closet, and added a few rows of french cleats to the short side walls. I hang drawer bins on the french cleats for small components, and use some various small clear bins from the dollar store, grocery store, and lowes, depending on who has them when I need more.

I also added a shelf above my work bench for frequently used, or currently in progress project bins.

The bins are big enough to hold a few pcb's and components, maybe a few transformers, etc. They're convenient and cheap.

Some things that make it work better/more conveniently, etc:

- USB connected label maker. I type significantly faster than I write, not to mention my penmanship.

- Keeping bins available so I can 'organize' quickly, and with little effort.

- Periodically condense bins/projects that I'm done with, or moved on from, etc.

The small parts component drawer units are very nice, but I find myself running out of drawers more quickly than I initially expected. I would like to find a more dense method of organizing these parts, that still allows me to easily find what I'm looking for. So far I've not had any great ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
I used to use those plastic 60-drawer units for resistors and other small parts. But I shifted to manila envelopes. They are called coin envelopes, any office supply has them. I use whatever size is roughly 3x5" 100 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors fit in them just fine, and of course if you only have 10 of a type, that is OK. 60 envelopes take up WAY less space than a plastic drawer bin. And if I ever need to add a value mid-sequence, all I need do is slide another envelope in the stack. I stack them on end, flap facing me, and I write the value/description on the flap. They stack in a cardboard box - or a plastic tub if you wish. Very space efficient. When I want one, I riffle through then like files in a file drawer.

I also put all my TO92 and similar shaped transistors in the envelopes. 100 TO92 fit in one. I had a big drawer unit for zeners. Unlike regular diodes, I don't buy zeners by the 100, except the 15v 1 watt ones. SO typical 10 of a value in each envelope, and the 100 1N4744 fit in one nicely as well. Regular rectifier diodes also.

If you stock large numbers of each TO220 type, then they might be more than one envelope handles, but certainly 10 of them is no strain.

Most of my disc ceramics went into envelopes.

Obviously my drawer unit for 5w and 10w resistors won't go in them well, and things with pins sticking out like TO3 or ICs go elsewhere. But I cleared ten drawer units from my shelves - or at least repurposed them. Room for pots, fuses, etc.

The size I use I am happy with, but they come in MANY sizes from tiny to huge.

Something to consider.

Attachments

• 5_coin_24manila-large_image.jpg
    5_coin_24manila-large_image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 692
Thanks.

Not so much resistors, but in cases like small transistors, the flap might say

2N4401 NPN TO92 40v 600ma

But I have the whole rest of the envelope to add additional information, like OEM part numbers for it, number in inventory inside the envelope. In some cases information for substitutions might be included. And even the adhesive labels Mouser sticks on their bags. Peel it off the plastic baggie and stick it on the envelope face, et voila, reorder information.

DIY / Ikea Parts Storage & Hacks

I used to use those plastic 60-drawer units for resistors and other small parts. But I shifted to manila envelopes. They are called coin envelopes, any office supply has them. I use whatever size is roughly 3x5" 100 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors fit in them just fine, and of course if you only have 10 of a type, that is OK. 60 envelopes take up WAY less space than a plastic drawer bin. And if I ever need to add a value mid-sequence, all I need do is slide another envelope in the stack. I stack them on end, flap facing me, and I write the value/description on the flap. They stack in a cardboard box - or a plastic tub if you wish. Very space efficient.

Enzo I use something very similar but for small individual parts I like see-through with a labeling area like these:

2" x 3", 4 Mil (Pack of 500) Heavy Duty Plastic Reclosable Zipper Bags w/ White Block Amazon.com: 2" x 3", 4 Mil (Pack of 500) Heavy Duty Plastic Reclosable Zipper Bags w/ White Block: Office Products

They’ll accommodate up to about a 3W resistor.

Also they come in a variety of different sizes, thicknesses and styles.

IMG_7938.JPG IMG_7937.JPG

Last edited:
Pcgab’s method is much like my own.

The key I think is not just part organization, but project organization, aggressive labeling and a “rolling update” strategy.

It seems nothing readymade exists but I think ikea mix and matching can come close for a cost at a fraction of a “pro” solution.

Was also looking at the Alex drawer series.

ALEX Drawer unit with 9 drawers, white - 14 1/8x45 5/8 " - IKEA

IMG_7939.JPG

I like the manila paper ones because they are stiff and stand up straight, but the clear plastic bags have the same advantage of taking up SO much less space. The drawer things have tones of unused room inside. Being able to see the parts is an advantage of the plastic bags.

DIY / Ikea Parts Storage & Hacks

Certainly not in disagreement with your method. It is great for resistors and small parts.

My imagination is going toward something which can also hold PCBs, transformers, chassis parts and other larger items as well as organize easily by project rather than by value or package size.

I am envisioning something that starts with larger drawers at the bottom, then followed by shelves for snap together tubs of gradually smaller sizes, then leading to a table top with the common the pull out part organizer drawers most commonly associated with electronic parts organization above it. Also the addition of a lamp, solder station, hooks for wires etc. could be placed on the table top for a completely “isolated” solution.

This can certainly be attained from various retailers but at a very high cost.

I am thinking of an ikea hack of sorts could create a very amenable solution, be highly portable (on wheels) and be modular for a very modest cost. I think it could most likely meet or beat the professional solutions on the market.

I know everyone’s tastes and needs are different however to come up with a general method would be very helpful and then others could further customize. But, it would save a whole lot of work researching and exploring possible options- it would give a baseline.

I think if we all put our heads together a general “schematic” or sorts could be determined to help others in a similar predicament. I don’t think I am alone in wanting a cleaner, more organized bench and storage solution.

So, the goals would be:

Low cost
Modular
Attractive and Neat (ie significant other etc. friendly)
Portable (for urban dwellers and renters)
Scalable
All components from one retailer (preferably IKEA as they are worldwide and well known)
Can accommodate the full organizational needs of the average diyaudio nut ;-)

A few of these:

ALEX Drawer unit on casters - white - IKEA

And a table/desk top and you have mobile work space with tool/parts storage. Maybe 3-4 drawer/storage units that could sit flat against a wall, then pop them out and set the top on a few of them for project work.

Maybe one of the kitchen countertop units like:
EKBACKEN Countertop - 74x1 1/8 " - IKEA

Could be a viable work top.

Keeping things encapsulated, and easily so is key I think. If others in the home don't have to look at all your various electronic bits spread out over a desk with wires hanging all over the place, they'll likely be much more accepting of it in common spaces.

I'm lucky that I have an office in our home, with a door and it's own closet. My main motivation is to store my stuff, in less space, while still being able to easily find what I need.

More room in my office means more speakers, amps, etc. in there :D

Last edited:
I ordered a few of these recently:

http://a.co/3EZjcNg

To use for storage on shelves. I'm about to build a nicer bookcase/storage unit that will actually be inside my office, as opposed to in my office closet. I wanted something nice enough looking, big enough to store more than just printed schematics, or paper notes on any given project. Sometimes I want to store connectors, transformers, etc. with a projects paper materials.

Their size is nice, they look very nice and have a small place to add a label to the front. I'm going to try and build my bookcase with enough room so that they don't hang over the front, even if they do, I'll likely continue to use them. My bookcase is size constrained depth wise as it's going into a specific spot that has a door swing into it.

I'll post some pics once I build the bookcase and start using it.

Those are some great ideas folks.

I'm the kind of person that needs to see what is in there, so I use the plastic tubs and I have parts in clear plastic bags with parts written on them, such at 470uf 100V, etc.

I've seen suggest that folks use school type three ring binders with business card type inserts with SMD parts in them.

Label Makers:

I’ve used a lot of these over the years and they range from absolutely obnoxious to seamlessly useful. Specifically, I’m about to bite the bullet and get Akro-Mills bins for all my resistors and caps to keep things sane and organized. So, I’m looking into a new label maker to keep things looking less ragged.

The labeled baggie thing isn’t working for me anymore.... What do you all use?

Parts Bins:
I was using thin transparent boxes that clamped shut but it became too fiddly at a certain point, especially when they are stacked. There’s about 10 million drawer style parts organizers out there and curious what you all feel is optimal for this sort of thing.

Since I’ll be buying quite a few of them as well as permanently mounting them I’d like to make the most informed decision I can.

Last edited:
I use Raaco organisers that are meant for this sort of thing (like this one) and then label them with a Dymo labelmaker. Has worked a treat for nearly 20 years. Good quality, wall-mountable if you want and the newer drawers are made from polypropylene that doesn't break. Comes in ESD-safe version as well at app. 5 times the price :D Seriously, have a look around various vendors, but they should be available for a reasonable price.

For resistors (specifically my RN55/RN60 collection with lots of odd E96/E192 values) I bought 100 4x6" ESD-bags and wrote a resistor value on each one. I then keep them in small flip-top boxes labelled with a range of values. The ESD-bags are sturdy enough to be used for a long time and also rigid enough so that you can "flip" through the values and use it as a filing system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.