Revox B225 Spindle motor bearing

Hello,

I have a revox B225 that developed an issue. When I first got it it wouldn't open, and had trouble reading discs. I recapped all the boards, cleaned the laser lens, lubricated all that needed to be and it worked fine for a while. Now though when I insert a disc and press play nothing happens. The display indicates all 0's, the lens does its usual 3 ups and downs but the disc doesn't spin. Any ideas ?

Do you have a service manual ? If not, get one before doing anything else!!

The fact that the lens goes up and down without the disc spinning means that the laser cannot find a focus or is not working.

You need to follow the diagnostics procedure to further isolate any problems.

Whatever you do, do not try adjusting anything as you may damage the laser.

Andy

Yes I have a service manual. I didn't touch anything so far. Looking into other threads I found someone that mentioned the fact that the bearing of the spindle motor might be worn and needs to be adjusted, problem is, someone destroyed the head of the screw (probably while trying to adjust it after it had been secured with glue). This seems to be some kind of rubber, can this part be replaced ?

Maybe the word 'seized' in my post is misleading!

If it is a permanent magnet dc spindle motor with brushes (i.e. not brushless) then the brushes and commutator can become contaminated. The motor can still be spun by hand but not by electric current.

Do check the troubleshooting site - it covers a host of other eventualities!

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives

You seem to be on top of the troubleshooting, so I'll bow out with this suggestion (sorry if I'm simply stating the obvious!):

If you disconnect BOTH terminals of the brushless spindle motor from the circuit board, you can test it if it is working by applying a dc voltage, not exceeding 9.0V, directly to the motor terminals.

Far from it but I did read part of the link you sent :D. I just tested the motor and it works fine.

Okay I got the plastic torx screw out (won't be usable again, someone glued it with what I suspect was pretty strong super glue and the ting was almost melted in place. As I don't have any screws with that diameter I glued a bolt to the metal part and screwed a normal screw in up to the point where the spindle was turning freely. Turned the cd player on, cd spins and reads without skipping. So unless there was a bad connection somewhere that was fixed by unplugging and reconnecting I thing the spindle height was the problem.

Now I just have to find a replacement for the "bearing" screw :(.

Turned the cd player on, cd spins and reads without skipping. Now I just have to find a replacement for the "bearing" screw :(

Glad you've located the source of the problem and hope you can provide a permanent fix.

I have inherited a Beogram CDX which uses the Philips CD104 laser mechanism.

It has all the usual faults which occur at random intervals! Currently the spindle motor won't stop turning. Going to have a more thorough go at resoldering all the 'griplets', but have given the restoration project a rest for now.

If I totally give up on it, watch out for it going cheap at auction as a source for that missing 'bearing' screw!

Well, for you I do hope you get to fix it but if you don't I'll be happy to recycle that part.

If anyone has a 3D printer precise enough for this, I would also be willing to pay them for it, just saying. It has a very small thread and a diameter of 8mm if I'm not mistaking.

Hi!

I started a thread in the digital source section about my revox B225 and was suggested to try my luck here. The problem is that the little torx screw that is used as an adjustable bearing for the spindle motor is broken. This part apparently can't be found and the complete cdm-1 mechanism is for sale at a whopping 325€.
maxresdefault.jpg

Is there anyone out here that would be able to draw a 3D design to get it printed ? Of course I'm willing to pay for it and if you don't want me to have the file (which I could understand) it's possible to directly upload it to the website of a local 3D printer shop.
Or is there someone that has this part and is willing to sell ?

Thank you