K40Y-9 capacitors- PCB hazzard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I been reading varying things regarding these caps and was hoping for some advice/opinions. Some comments I have read say they contain PCBs while others say its some type of mineral oil. Is there any consensus here on what oil is actually inside?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/188207-k40y-9-questions-comments-2.html

While the caps show no sign of leaking - and I have no intention of opening them up- I am bit worried that give it enough time they will fail and leak oil? With a small child (with one maybe on the way) perhaps I should not have them in the house at all ?

Thank you all- appreciate your thoughts

Not sure what's in them it could well be PCB's but I would not worry about it leaking at all. The ends of the caps are hermetically sealed with glass insulators. The only way they could leak is if they were crushed or cut open or maybe rusted completely through. I have some 60 odd year old hermetically sealed transformers that contain PCB's and they have not leaked.

Cheers
Matt

K40-9 caps are paper and oil. The green russian caps do have something else in them as they are poly caps. Don't mistreat the caps and you are good to go.

Do a search and you can find out what they contain. I think the article was posted on here about 2 or 3 years ago.

The hazards about chemicals like PCB's usually came to light when the factories that used these chemicals started having higher rates of illness or cancers of unusual forms. Often times these chemicals were thought to be harmless so no precautions were used at all. Imagine being on the line that was filling power pole transformers all day long and being covered in this stuff.

So a small leaking cap should not really be much of a concern, your exposure is minimal at best. Just use common sense, don't lick your fingers if you get in on your hands and wash well after.

BillWojo

Your cap would have to be crushed or otherwise cracked open on the circuit board inside your unit, then your kids would have to take it apart and then eat the crushed part. I find the risk of that exposure extremely low. Much lower than say the things from car exhausts they breath every time you take them on the roads.

Hi all, since I'm in Russia, I've made a research to find out what capacitor series made in ussr contained PCB or 'Совтол' in Russian.

All the series listed in russian to help identify the caps.
ЛС, ЛСМ, ЛСЕ

ИС, КС, КСЭ, КСЭК, КСТС, КСП, КСПК, КСШ, КСФ, ФСТ, ДС130-45, ПС, ПСК, РСТ-2, РСТО-2, ГСТ-1-50

ЭС, ЭСВ, ЭСВП, ЭСВК, БКС, КСК

Long story short k40y-9 doesn't contain PCB chemicals - they are just ordinary pio caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.