Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2018, 06:02 PM   #1
thedoc735 is offline thedoc735  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Würth Elektronik WE 221 016 ASLL-D35?

disaster with my pink faun i2s bridge card!!!!!!!

this capacitor broke off and I don't know what to order!

Würth Elektronik WE 221 016 ASLL-D35. diameter approx. 6mm, length approx. 7-8mm.

is there a way to find out the voltage and 'Uf'? ...etc.

thanx in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2755.JPG (52.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 1844042-pink-faun-i2s-bridge-pcie-card (b).jpg (128.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 4th June 2018, 06:22 PM   #2
GOR3 is offline GOR3  United States
diyAudio Member

I would guess it's 220uF at 16 volts. But why not shoot Pink Faun an email?
Old 4th June 2018, 06:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOR3 View Post
I would guess it's 220uF at 16 volts. But why not shoot Pink Faun an email?
many thanks!

I have sent an email to 'PF' anyway but not sure if I'd get a reply?
Wurth & Mouser (UK) don't know what part it is by the number on the top!

its the cap directly behind the molex power socket. It was already bent over and lose when I received it, secondhand from america. Pretty insecure in a jiffy bag! I accidentally caught it with my finger or thumb when pushing the molex plug firmly into the socket and it didn't take very much for it to fall completely off the card/ board.
Old 5th June 2018, 10:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

here we see the board location where the cap has broken off. It is clear, that it is indeed 16v, and one the the legs of the cap is still attached to the pad. There's a hole that looks like a 'through-hole' for soldering, but it's a bit big?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2758a.jpg (108.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 6th June 2018, 12:47 AM   #5
ej25awd is offline ej25awd  Canada
formally hitachi_nut

The soldering appears to have be done by hand as shown by the poor solder coverage on the SMD pads.

The hole on the cathode is just a via. It might be too small to accomodate a through-hole capacitor. Check the other side ot the board and see if there is a an actual pad for soldering a through-hole capacitor. Is there a corresponding hole for the anode?

Chances are, your board will work just fine without that capacitor. I don't see any DC-DC switcher and only a bunch of linear regulators. It looks like a design that utilized an excessive number of electrolytic capacitors for the visual impact so a missing capacitor is not going to make that much difference.
Old 6th June 2018, 04:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej25awd View Post
The soldering appears to have be done by hand as shown by the poor solder coverage on the SMD pads.

The hole on the cathode is just a via. It might be too small to accomodate a through-hole capacitor. Check the other side ot the board and see if there is a an actual pad for soldering a through-hole capacitor. Is there a corresponding hole for the anode?

Chances are, your board will work just fine without that capacitor. I don't see any DC-DC switcher and only a bunch of linear regulators. It looks like a design that utilized an excessive number of electrolytic capacitors for the visual impact so a missing capacitor is not going to make that much difference.
no solder pad on the other side. No hole on the anode.
Old 6th June 2018, 05:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Use solder wick to remove the old solder from the pads. A replacement capacitor (use one of the same physical size and value) can be soldered in by hand. As ej25awd points out, the old capacitor was soldered by hand. Also, although it's hard to tell from your photograph, it looks like other components also were soldered by hand. That's a bit odd. Is this a genuine board? In any event, it looks like the board wasn't well-cleaned after soldering. Use some electronics grade isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the rosin from the board.
Good luck,
George
I took a quick look at Pink Faun's site. It looks like their boards are often hand-soldered. Odd.

Last edited by GOR3; 6th June 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Use solder wick to remove the old solder from the pads. A replacement capacitor (use one of the same physical size and value) can be soldered in by hand. As ej25awd points out, the old capacitor was soldered by hand. Also, although it's hard to tell from your photograph, it looks like other components also were soldered by hand. That's a bit odd. Is this a genuine board? In any event, it looks like the board wasn't well-cleaned after soldering. Use some electronics grade isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the rosin from the board.
Good luck,
George
I took a quick look at Pink Faun's site. It looks like their boards are often hand-soldered. Odd.
many thanks!
As well as wick I also have an electric vacuum solder remover (suction). Yes, pink faun like to do everything by hand as far as is humanly possible. I presume it to be genuine. Yes I'll give it a 'scrub'! (LOL). Pink faun are sending me a replacement part B.T.W.!
Old 6th June 2018, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc735 View Post
pink faun like to do everything by hand as far as is humanly possible
A stencil ($15 and good for dozens of boards) and a re-flow oven (hacked toaster oven reallocated from a dumpster) would do a far more professional job.
Old 6th June 2018, 09:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A stencil ($15 and good for dozens of boards) and a re-flow oven (hacked toaster oven reallocated from a dumpster) would do a far more professional job.

I think they'd 'beg to differ' on that one somehow! Have you seen there price list and manifesto?
https://www.pinkfaun.com/media/wysiw.../pricelist.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!