Würth Elektronik WE 221 016 ASLL-D35?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
disaster with my pink faun i2s bridge card!!!!!!!

this capacitor broke off and I don't know what to order!

Würth Elektronik WE 221 016 ASLL-D35. diameter approx. 6mm, length approx. 7-8mm.

is there a way to find out the voltage and 'Uf'? ...etc.

thanx in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN2755.JPG
    DSCN2755.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 1844042-pink-faun-i2s-bridge-pcie-card (b).jpg
    1844042-pink-faun-i2s-bridge-pcie-card (b).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 199
I would guess it's 220uF at 16 volts. But why not shoot Pink Faun an email?

many thanks!

I have sent an email to 'PF' anyway but not sure if I'd get a reply?
Wurth & Mouser (UK) don't know what part it is by the number on the top!

its the cap directly behind the molex power socket. It was already bent over and lose when I received it, secondhand from america. Pretty insecure in a jiffy bag! I accidentally caught it with my finger or thumb when pushing the molex plug firmly into the socket and it didn't take very much for it to fall completely off the card/ board.

here we see the board location where the cap has broken off. It is clear, that it is indeed 16v, and one the the legs of the cap is still attached to the pad. There's a hole that looks like a 'through-hole' for soldering, but it's a bit big?

Attachments

• DSCN2758a.jpg
    DSCN2758a.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 160
The soldering appears to have be done by hand as shown by the poor solder coverage on the SMD pads.

The hole on the cathode is just a via. It might be too small to accomodate a through-hole capacitor. Check the other side ot the board and see if there is a an actual pad for soldering a through-hole capacitor. Is there a corresponding hole for the anode?

Chances are, your board will work just fine without that capacitor. I don't see any DC-DC switcher and only a bunch of linear regulators. It looks like a design that utilized an excessive number of electrolytic capacitors for the visual impact so a missing capacitor is not going to make that much difference.

The soldering appears to have be done by hand as shown by the poor solder coverage on the SMD pads.

The hole on the cathode is just a via. It might be too small to accomodate a through-hole capacitor. Check the other side ot the board and see if there is a an actual pad for soldering a through-hole capacitor. Is there a corresponding hole for the anode?

Chances are, your board will work just fine without that capacitor. I don't see any DC-DC switcher and only a bunch of linear regulators. It looks like a design that utilized an excessive number of electrolytic capacitors for the visual impact so a missing capacitor is not going to make that much difference.

no solder pad on the other side. No hole on the anode. :wiz:

Use solder wick to remove the old solder from the pads. A replacement capacitor (use one of the same physical size and value) can be soldered in by hand. As ej25awd points out, the old capacitor was soldered by hand. Also, although it's hard to tell from your photograph, it looks like other components also were soldered by hand. That's a bit odd. Is this a genuine board? In any event, it looks like the board wasn't well-cleaned after soldering. Use some electronics grade isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the rosin from the board.
Good luck,
George
I took a quick look at Pink Faun's site. It looks like their boards are often hand-soldered. Odd.

Last edited:
Use solder wick to remove the old solder from the pads. A replacement capacitor (use one of the same physical size and value) can be soldered in by hand. As ej25awd points out, the old capacitor was soldered by hand. Also, although it's hard to tell from your photograph, it looks like other components also were soldered by hand. That's a bit odd. Is this a genuine board? In any event, it looks like the board wasn't well-cleaned after soldering. Use some electronics grade isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the rosin from the board.
Good luck,
George
I took a quick look at Pink Faun's site. It looks like their boards are often hand-soldered. Odd.

many thanks!
As well as wick I also have an electric vacuum solder remover (suction). Yes, pink faun like to do everything by hand as far as is humanly possible. I presume it to be genuine. Yes I'll give it a 'scrub'! (LOL). Pink faun are sending me a replacement part B.T.W.! :idea:

caps delivered

....finally got my pink faun capacitor(s). They sent 4 free of charge with free postage - good guys!
Got 'cold feet' about reflow gun and just went traditional with a very very fine tip on the 'iron'. Cleaned up the pads with wick and tinned them and the legs of the new cap. Then placed the cap. in the demarcated area, went slightly squiffy by about half a millimeter! Never the less - made good solid contact and silver solder connection between the PCB & cap. Now sounds as good as before.

:D

....finally got my pink faun capacitor(s). They sent 4 free of charge with free postage - good guys!
Got 'cold feet' about reflow gun and just went traditional with a very very fine tip on the 'iron'. Cleaned up the pads with wick and tinned them and the legs of the new cap. Then placed the cap. in the demarcated area, went slightly squiffy by about half a millimeter! Never the less - made good solid contact and silver solder connection between the PCB & cap. Now sounds as good as before.

:D

Yes, they are very supportive and professional, I confirm!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.