Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

bypass cap on input film cap?
bypass cap on input film cap?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2018, 09:50 PM   #11
laserscrape is offline laserscrape
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
That's a good question. I'd have to say that it's hard to tell, the sound doesn't seem coloured to me and neither was it my aim to make the sound 'nicer'.

The MKP sounded accurate but also 'hard' sounding. I didn't like it and I would have called it coloured except that this didn't make sense to me how a film cap could sound coloured so I left it as a mystery.

In my TGM3 where I used a Tantalum (an old blue drop) the sound was definitely coloured slightly, and for the better.
thats really interesting. I always used PP where possible just because they're considered to be the best on paper but in situations where the values were too big the improvements from standard caps to Elna silmics were really significant, much more significant than any film cap upgrade.
Ill definitely try replacing some PPs with these MUSE caps. thinking about it of it all these PP caps are general purpose but the MUSE are top end audio grade.
Old 18th May 2018, 11:07 PM   #12
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Some of the basic no-name, or general purpose pp caps can sound really bad in signal coupling situations.
Old 19th May 2018, 09:51 PM   #13
laserscrape is offline laserscrape
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
Some of the basic no-name, or general purpose pp caps can sound really bad in signal coupling situations.
have you ever compared audio grade electrolytics to audio grade PP?
Old 20th May 2018, 04:31 PM   #14
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The only electrolytic coupling cap that I am familiar with is the Muse, and they are overall better than many of the pp parts. Iíve salvaged parts from different power supplies, other appliances over the years and they go into a tin for later use/experiments.
I try not to buy audiophile film capacitors, so the two that I have weíre done so after overwhelming reviews and a killer sale price.
I would be interested in comparing the Muse to the Mundorf bipolar, or the Kasei bp, but havenít made that effort.
There are other electrolytic parts but they are better used in power supplies, sound dull in signal coupling, like the popular Silmic. Some companies like Marantz use them as coupling caps however, plenty of happy customers...

bypass cap on input film cap?Hide this!Advertise here!