Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Budget audiophile speaker cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2018, 07:05 PM   #171
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedespot View Post
I have seen AP measurements of two identical core cables that measured differently. They were different colors, and the one that was red, and used iron for the pigment. This slightly increased inductance as a function of current....................
Over two decades ago, Neil Muncy (RIP) and then Jim Brown wrote about Shield Current Induced Noise. This is when the dielectric around the two conductors in an balanced interconnect are slightly different. This small difference unbalances the interconnect and allows it to pick-up RFI.
But for loudspeakers, well that's a stretch.
Old 10th June 2018, 04:07 AM   #172
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys
If its within your budget pls try the Duelund 16awg. I couldn’t get hold of the WE 16awg in any case Im using single run including speaker internal wiring on my ML Odyssey it really is very good sounding.Won’t describe the details you just need to try & you’ll be in for a big surprise.

Cheers
Old 13th June 2018, 05:01 PM   #173
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
I have read so much info on audio cables, my mind is spinning. I've read everything from CAT5 to Home Depot power cable.

Here's my story - I'm running all digital, with active crossover. About 75w per channel max power. I want a fun project with the kid. I'm not looking to buy shares of some Russian mine to come up with exotic materials for 20' of speaker cable.

I have a huge spool of in-wall speaker wire - which is really nicely packaged for making cables. However, I want to do build a set, and listen comparatively.

If this is in the wrong category, apologies in advance. Please feel free to move this thread.

Thank you.

Search for 100% money back sellers and try their cables. Remember cable break-in. Don't rush expressing your hatred if your results are abysmal. Give it some time to play.
There is no definite recipe. Different systems will benefit different cable signatures.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:09 PM   #174
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'm 42 years old.
The moment my old ears hear a difference between decent gauge copper wire and ludicrous expensive speaker cables is the moment I'll reconsider my belief in God
Old 30th June 2018, 03:20 AM   #175
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1
And the idea of a piece of copper wire needing "break in" is completely absurd to me. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between $2000 speaker cables and a piece of barbed wire.

Personally, I use 1.5mm^3 wire for low power, and 8AWG for high power.

Last edited by kodabmx; 30th June 2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 30th June 2018, 11:21 AM   #176
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
And the idea of a piece of copper wire needing "break in" is completely absurd to me. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between $2000 speaker cables and a piece of barbed wire.
Placebo effect and snake oil vendor can do it.
Barbed wire a good alternative to coat hanger wire.
Quote:
Personally, I use 1.5mm^3 wire for low power, and 8AWG for high power.
Personally, I put 2.5mm^2 wire for speaker cables, as à tribute to beleif in damping factor.
Old 30th June 2018, 11:42 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

A piece of wire of different types does affect the sound but of course it’s up to the individual to test. Yep I for one wouldn't be caught up spenidng silly money for speaker cables but having said that I have found great sound to be had just spending $120 or so on Dulund 16awg cables. To me its money well spent.
Old 30th June 2018, 01:55 PM   #178
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The only things in a cable that can affect sound are resistance, inductance and capacitance.
Resistance will reduce the sound level depending on just how much resistance and length of cable there is.
Inductance will reduce top end.
Capacitance will reduce top end.

I just use 13 amp stranded mains cable which is good at all three and have had no problems in 40 years.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 30th June 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 30th June 2018, 02:08 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Yes Nigel thats what theory says. If your like me mucking around with cables, caps, resistors, ps etc, your views will be different. Not saying that I agree to spending crazy money, more towards trial & experimentation with an open mind.

Cheers
Old 30th June 2018, 02:11 PM   #180
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedespot View Post
I have seen AP measurements of two identical core cables that measured differently. They were different colors, and the one that was red, and used iron for the pigment. This slightly increased inductance as a function of current.

The only reason this was even tested was because some "golden ear" insisted he could hear the difference, and credibly beat our ABX test.

Everyday I try to learn something new... wouldn't have guessed this. Granted, a better shield on the cable would have completely eliminated this, but that's really all any decent cable can claim over cheap cable once power handling is sufficiently established.
Good info, I have observed such differences also according to insulations pigments.

Dan.

Budget audiophile speaker cablesHide this!Advertise here!