Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Audio note kaisei capacitors
Audio note kaisei capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2020, 06:20 PM   #71
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Iíve also found that just leaving something run continuously doesnít work as well either, and usually takes around three weeks, running around half the time.
Pretty crazy, but happens every time...
Old 21st November 2020, 07:11 PM   #72
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

No, totaly crazy.
Old 21st November 2020, 08:39 PM   #73
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I'll give it some more time

Meanwhile, 4 hours and some Belgian abbey beers later, things are sounding peachy.

Probably less so in the morning
Old 22nd November 2020, 03:34 PM   #74
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I suppose we all suffer from something, be it totally crazy, or totally deaf.

Now if I were the only one who felt as I do...
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:35 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Most of us feel as we do

Some corroboration here:

Leaving a component on continuously will NOT properly form the caps!!! They need to discharge and recharge over multiple cycles to do this. And it is not best to simply turn the component on and off in quick succession. The caps retain charge for several hours once the component is turned off and need to discharge that voltage over the same time frame, which is why cycling on-off, on a daily basis, with an overnight to discharge is by far the best way to form caps.

Do electrolytic caps need burn in? | Audiogon Discussion Forum
Old 27th November 2020, 09:52 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

I'm slowly getting there (very noticeable difference after some more tens of hours).

Patience is a virtue indeed.

Last edited by Klimon; 27th November 2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: No reason
Old 28th November 2020, 02:41 AM   #77
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reminder Klimon. I build something call The Cap Rack which I found while goggling. It's does something like what you discribed. Exercising the cap by charging & discharging.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:54 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Great tip, Sumotan! RJM Audio - The Cap Rack

Will try it when I upgrade dac electrolytics. I read that those can take forever to burn in (low currents).

Last edited by Klimon; 28th November 2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Sumotan is not a common name in Belgium
Old 28th November 2020, 12:18 PM   #79
eduard is online now eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
A LITTLE bit of topic. I have a friend who has been using a 20 watt Hiraga amp with the original 68000 microfarad Novea capacitors in a CLC power supply. Recently he switched to a much bigger choke which was clearly an improvement. His amp is about 30 years old so i suggested him to try some Kemet caps which do have better specs.
On the pos and the neg leg after the choke there is a pair of 68.000. First he tried replacing one 68000 on each side to have a combination of Novea and Kemet. The sound wasnt that good. I told him to remove the Novea that did improve things BUT a pair of Novea is still the best and he described it as a big difference.
Adding the second Kemet might help ( the difference in capacity is rather small)
This amp runs in class A so i expect a rather short burn in time. And i think the differences he hears are surely not 100% related to burn in time.
I think after a few hours the Kemets ( if they are indeed better in every way) should be an improvement and might improve a little more in the first week or so.
The Kemets are not the typical audiophile caps ( Novea were regarded as well constructed quality caps back in the eighties and nineties) , just caps made to work and last a long time.
So i wonder what are we hearing?
Greetings, Eduard
  Reply to this post

Audio note kaisei capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!