Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the teflon silver wire because the jacket is thin but tough, which, combined with the many thin strands, lets it be shaped easily, yet keep a shape, the silver 'takes up' solder especially quick and well and the jacket experiences no melting during any reasonable extent of soldering. It's one of those things that would create a severe incremental cost with no significant payback in a consumer commercial product, but that those of us who do this for enjoyment can "round up" into doing in one-offs and using surplus wire. The most dangerous words of any DIY project being "while I am at it, I might as well ___fill in the blank___"

I like the teflon silver wire because the jacket is thin but tough, which, combined with the many thin strands, lets it be shaped easily, yet keep a shape, the silver 'takes up' solder especially quick and well and the jacket experiences no melting during any reasonable extent of soldering. It's one of those things that would create a severe incremental cost with no significant payback in a consumer commercial product, but that those of us who do this for enjoyment can "round up" into doing in one-offs and using surplus wire. The most dangerous words of any DIY project being "while I am at it, I might as well ___fill in the blank___"
These pros are really making sense. On the contrary any audible improvements are just anecdotic.

This is basically why people actually use it. Also, PTFE / Teflon is pretty inert and probably won't degrade over time. Quite honestly, the fact that it won't be melted by a soldering iron is full justification for using it in point-to-point wiring for tube amps. About the only downside is that stripping it is no fun.

Regarding "sonic differences"... eventually some dork is going to try to use rigid coax for their RCA interconnects, and they will claim to hear a world of difference. The more money and time gets spent on something, the more inclination people have to like it, regardless of if it is any different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.