Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 04:43 PM   #61
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Also round wire imparts roundness to sound, for flat and edgy sound you need to use copper ribbon.

Lead in solder gives you heavy sound, I much prefer aluminum wire solder.
I am starting to like this forum member. Being resolute about objective observation and factual, is a quality I can only admire.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:22 AM   #62
kd1yt is offline kd1yt  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the teflon silver wire because the jacket is thin but tough, which, combined with the many thin strands, lets it be shaped easily, yet keep a shape, the silver 'takes up' solder especially quick and well and the jacket experiences no melting during any reasonable extent of soldering. It's one of those things that would create a severe incremental cost with no significant payback in a consumer commercial product, but that those of us who do this for enjoyment can "round up" into doing in one-offs and using surplus wire. The most dangerous words of any DIY project being "while I am at it, I might as well ___fill in the blank___"
Old 30th June 2020, 08:35 AM   #63
bucks bunny is offline bucks bunny  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd1yt View Post
I like the teflon silver wire because the jacket is thin but tough, which, combined with the many thin strands, lets it be shaped easily, yet keep a shape, the silver 'takes up' solder especially quick and well and the jacket experiences no melting during any reasonable extent of soldering. It's one of those things that would create a severe incremental cost with no significant payback in a consumer commercial product, but that those of us who do this for enjoyment can "round up" into doing in one-offs and using surplus wire. The most dangerous words of any DIY project being "while I am at it, I might as well ___fill in the blank___"
These pros are really making sense. On the contrary any audible improvements are just anecdotic.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:12 AM   #64
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd1yt View Post
This is basically why people actually use it. Also, PTFE / Teflon is pretty inert and probably won't degrade over time. Quite honestly, the fact that it won't be melted by a soldering iron is full justification for using it in point-to-point wiring for tube amps. About the only downside is that stripping it is no fun.

Regarding "sonic differences"... eventually some dork is going to try to use rigid coax for their RCA interconnects, and they will claim to hear a world of difference. The more money and time gets spent on something, the more inclination people have to like it, regardless of if it is any different.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:34 AM   #65
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Lamp cord enlights sounds.
And makes the earth flatter.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:56 PM   #66
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchambin View Post
Lamp cord enlights sounds.
And makes the earth flatter.

Did you know that earth becomes concave if you connect the lamp cord backwards?

Sorry, couldn’t resist fueling Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?
Old 30th June 2020, 01:01 PM   #67
cathodefollower is offline cathodefollower
diyAudio Member

So enough of the blah blah blah this vendor has all kinds of MIl-Spec 19 strand PTFE insulated wire. If you can't find what you want there Dynakit has 22ga. PTFE. He also has ptfe tubing.

25 ft 20 AWG Silver Plated PTFE Teflon(R) Wire White 19 strands made in USA SPC | eBay
Old 30th June 2020, 01:24 PM   #68
metzb1 is offline metzb1  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm in California, so I need a wire connection that can withstand an earthquate measuring 3g in all three planes simultaneously.

Teflon silver coated wire - where to use, what size, and ratings?Hide this!Advertise here!