Has anyone solved the 10000uf 120v Cap shortage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I’m tearing an old NAD 2700 THX amp down to repair the common relay issue and while in there would like to replace the power supply caps. This issue has come up before within the various forums, including this one, however the end result is usually just reusing the old 120v caps. Well it’s been a few years since the most recent posts and perhaps someone has come up with a workaround.

The issue is size. I believe the stock caps are 35mm. There are four in a tight bundle; 2ea 10000uf 120v first then 2ea 10000uf 80v leading out. Line voltage is around 118 and working voltage on the 120v is about 96v. Obviously a larger voltage cap on the initial side would work but the diameter is to big.

Has anyone followed through on this repair (NAD 2200,2600 and 2700 all share this I believe) or possibly found a vendor or work around?

I did see those. But no one has confirmed that they

A. Actually work.

B. Are better than what’s already in there.

Basically no one has followed through with their original posts. Not to mention, that’s the only place I’ve ever seen them. They are not available in any reputable shops that I have found.

Perhaps I need to be the trend setter here. These were popular amps, the entire series uses basically the same parts. So I can’t be the only one but I’ll document what I do nonetheless.

Thanks for responding.

Those are uncommon voltages for 10000uF, and may be all there is available
with pc mount pins that will fit in the space.

Maybe you could find screw terminal caps that will fit, and mount them
on a small adapter pcb. That style will be more expensive, though.

That’s a good idea. I hadn’t considered it. Once the output relays are replaced these amps sound pretty good. But I’ve always eyeballed those four large power supply caps every time I’m in there. Eventually they will fail due to age and I’ve yet to find a suitable replacement that would be any type of “upgrade”. I suppose those EBay caps, cheap or not, would replace a dried up cap in a pinch. Likely would get the amp working again.

The problem with the higher voltage caps is the diameter. The four that are in there are literally glued together they are so close. I’m currently working on another 2700 THX and while replacing most of the smaller caps and the troublesome relays, I figured I’d try again to find a replacement or upgrade for the four large ps caps. I guess NAD was the only one to ever use these.

Joined 2011
I figured I’d try again to find a replacement or upgrade for the four large ps caps.
I guess NAD was the only one to ever use these.

Those capacitors could have been custom made for NAD. If you repair these often, it would be
well worth it to make a custom pcb with readily available caps. You could even series connect
lower voltage caps.

Last edited:
Wow......guess not.

160v 10000uf Nichicon from mouser mount on a bit of angle alloy. Maybe expensive but not in the grand scheme of things. Also replaced the speaker binding posts.

Attachments

• CECCBC0D-631A-4EAB-8C22-1D47CBC2E686.jpg
    CECCBC0D-631A-4EAB-8C22-1D47CBC2E686.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.