Miniature electrolytic capacitors shootout - Best for Coupling to Headphones?

i think in real live amps we open a window to unwanted "submusic" signals
if we use those big elcaps......(transformer regulation, dc-regulation,.......other sub sonic events or sowhat).

(aside that, a psychological effekt: some people feel sick when they receive subsonic events - it remembers them on earthquakes........)

I don't have a slightest clue or an explanation to what exactly is causing that (soakage?). Having said that, I found that even 4700uF-into-32 Ohm various consumer cans gives that "bloated" feel. Even with 3300uF (cca 1.5Hz corner or so). 2200uF is passable (cca 2Hz) ... but to me it depends on the cap brand. As you noted, some are better than others (IME low-ESR "industrial" types).

With 50/64 Ohm both I liked the 1500uF best (1,9Hz and 1,6Hz corner, but with a 50mm driver).

Actual experience IME goes a little against the math.

Then your experience is wrong.

Muse ES measure very low distortion and work well for coupling, sounding more transparent than many other options. I've had success using 10uF on the output of a couple DAC projects. The larger values suitable for headphone coupling are too big to fit in the pocket amp from the first post, but I have 25V 1000uF Muse ES in my desktop headphone amp.

I have ordered another 12V linear power supply with upgraded caps, the upgrades on this supply are Nichicon caps (FG's I think, better regs and Wimas etc) I'll burn this in and A-B with my original LPS same design but standard caps etc. I have also started to experiment with Coupling caps in the Mini DSP changing the small 47uf outputs to silmics, I have asme Panasonic FR's to try as well. This is only for the subs running up to about 70 Hz

For this experiment I am only interested in frequencies between 16-70 Hz I might also try some ES caps as well. As my Mini DSP only EQ's the subs

Any other suggestions for the caps in the mini dsp ? the inputs have 47uf KZ and the output now 47uf Silmics, th Silmics were better than the original Nichicon KW, the bass has a little more resolution and speed, sounds a bit weightier as well, like the KW's were slightly dynamically restricted

Attachments

• 2A7B4024-95F9-41B1-8826-5F74B24DFDC1.jpg
    2A7B4024-95F9-41B1-8826-5F74B24DFDC1.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 249
On my analogue board within the Bluray player (I use analogue out) I am just running in Silmics on the main channels for coupling caps (L,C,R,Sub) after swapping out Fine Golds here, space is limited

Attachments

• 9D3E8893-A879-48E0-A2A6-9EBC6969246F.jpg
    9D3E8893-A879-48E0-A2A6-9EBC6969246F.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 271
Really pleased with the results after 80 or so hours, I know there has been a lot written about burn in and these caps are suppose to need 80-100 hours my notes after the first switch on, then at 50 hours and now with 80

First on they sounded very good, slightly more dynamic more body and weight and substance, particularly in the lower mids, good clarity but perhaps not as resolving as the Fine Golds, slightly less physical scale good tonality and quite organic and real sounding. The first films sounded good and very analogue but somehow a little dark and possibly a little rolled off in the higher registers.

Then a familiar test disc at 40-50 hours, they were stronger in the bass possibly a little bloated and softer and also a little muffles and dull, a few parts of the upper mids, on piano and some vocals sounded dull and recessed.Tonally nice and pretty good overall but lacking the resolution. I like the tonality but they lacked the space and projection from the lower mids up. Also they did sound a little bloated in the bass, I took 1 db out as it was a little too heavy. At this point I wanted some of what they had bought to the sounds - complete lack of glare very good tonality and realism to things, but desperately wanted the missing resolution and projection in the higher frequencies. If they had stayed this way the Fine Golds were the winner and would be going back in

Afte 80 hours they took on a step change, all of the upper mid and high end is back, they are not forward but sound every bit as resolving as the fine Golds but with more body and tonal density everywhere, slightly more dynamics and weight in the bass and a great sense if ease and clarity. Now I would say the Fine Golds sound slightly more 'polite' and reserved than the Silmics and also slightly leaner and thinner in the upper mid. vocals now have superb projection, body and clarity, very in the room and real texture to things

I have to say this is the best sounds I have had at home in the cinema set up a notable step forward from the Acurus ACT4 now, from memory everywhere not just in the tonality and musical flow.

These are not expensive caps, physically large, shame more manufacturers don't spec them

Last edited:
I have ordered another 12V linear power supply with upgraded caps, the upgrades on this supply are Nichicon caps (FG's I think, better regs and Wimas etc) I'll burn this in and A-B with my original LPS same design but standard caps etc. I have also started to experiment with Coupling caps in the Mini DSP changing the small 47uf outputs to silmics, I have asme Panasonic FR's to try as well. This is only for the subs running up to about 70 Hz

For this experiment I am only interested in frequencies between 16-70 Hz I might also try some ES caps as well. As my Mini DSP only EQ's the subs

Any other suggestions for the caps in the mini dsp ? the inputs have 47uf KZ and the output now 47uf Silmics, th Silmics were better than the original Nichicon KW, the bass has a little more resolution and speed, sounds a bit weightier as well, like the KW's were slightly dynamically restricted

For KZ you must use the 50v version if there's enough space may I recommend that you parallel 2x22uf KZ 50v