Copper RCA connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Big mistake :)

we live in a imperfect world;)
you could say my system will be balanced/unbalanced.
btw what do you think about using 1 solid sterling silver as a interconnect vs the flat silver which has like 10 super tiny strands running..I think conductance runs superior in
1 single solid wire , = less breakup in the signal path = 1 solid 14 gague superior to 10 tiny strands which = 14 gague.
I've read a solid wire is superior to tiny strands,,,~~also, note,
Q: what type of wire is in your walls, ~~
A: solid copper.
There you go.
but hey, i'm fair,,i'll A/B both, and see what is the verdict.
If no change = my theory is snakeoil , and i just spent $$$$ on sterling silver, para nada....:(

Definitely, the two channels should be matched as closely as possible.

well i don't want to runa extention cord to the big fat Jadis Defy,,as it already is a 110, not the EU 220.
Not sure how that big guy works on 110 current , vs the power of 220.
anyway i' do not listen loud, so no big draw on amps/current.

I'll push one speaker over and cut the soundstage width..., no biggie.
I tell you, my system is all about the Philips (= amperex) SQE80CC. That tube is the star of the show = the Defy can't sing w/o the PSQE80CC.
I have a thread over at audiogon stating just that fact.
I am telling you faith Hill's voice comes across as pure passion, the Amperex BB's NOS and the new Psvane's AU's puddy/murky/flat voicing has no chance against.
IMHO (hunch) the PSQ tall boys render all other AU's ~~~worthless~~~I just got some Tesla ECC802's NOS from a Czech seller,,i'm not even going to put them in to ck sound,
Why?
If the BB's can't hold a candle to the PSQ's tall boys, , how is another ~~shortie~~ going to do any better.
??
A: Not

My entire system revolves around the 2 front tubes, PSQE80CC. all else is backup support.... IOW The Jadis Defy which sells for $$$$$ is crippled w/o the PSQ Tall Boys.
You could put all Mundorf Gold Silver Supreme caps in the jadis,,and still have,,well, obviously you would geta superior resolution,,yet add in the PSQ 's and now the super expensive M caps open up.
I plan to mod the Jadis (which has very low hours, even though its now close to 20 yrs in age,,,will go with M SilverGoldOIl,,not the $$$$ Supremes,,,have to see how many caps i need and the values,,if its too many/high values,,i may have to change plans to another M cap...My tech guy in Baton Rouge is old school,~~if it ain't broke,,,don't fix it~~~ He can not see making mods on parts that work. I don't want to budget over $400 for that mod....That might be a 2021 mod.

IMHO (hunch) the PSQ tall boys render all other AU's ~~~worthless~~~I just got some Tesla ECC802's NOS from a Czech seller,,i'm not even going to put them in to ck sound,
Why?
If the BB's can't hold a candle to the PSQ's tall boys, , how is another ~~shortie~~ going to do any better.
??
A: Not

I am not sure what the "tall" and "short" are referencing but how do you know that some size issue is responsible for what you are experiencing? Have you checked the differences in current draw between the different tubes? Do you have a schematic of your amplifier so we can have a lokk at what might be going on?

My entire system revolves around the 2 front tubes, PSQE80CC. all else is backup support.... IOW The Jadis Defy which sells for $$$$$ is crippled w/o the PSQ Tall Boys.

I am surprised by that statement. I never really listened to a Jadis amplifier but had a chance to measure two different Jadis PP output transformers and they were exceptionally good. Very low parasitics and accordingly very wide frequency and clean square wave response.
From that I wouldn't have expected that the circuits of a company putting that effort into their signal transformers would be so borderline bad.

Last edited:
1 single solid wire , = less breakup in the signal path
Would you please explain what you mean by breakup in the signal path in connection with conductivity and litz or multi strand versus solid core? Sorry, English is not my first language and sometimes I need a bit of help.

I've read a solid wire is superior to tiny strands,,,~~also, note,
A: solid copper.
There are practical reasons for the wire in the wall being solid core (easier to install, no need to use more expensive multistrand for a conductor that after installation won't be moved anymore). Also the "superior" needs to be taken in context.

@ JMFahey

OK, yiu got me,,so a shorter copper = same conductance spped as a longer sterling silver wire,,,,hummm, gotta think about that.
Cheers
paul
New Orleans
Paul, I doubt that any non-native Southern USA speaker will understand what you wrote.
I grew up in the Northern USA and I can't decode your post.

Maybe it's time to do away with the bias and test if the lower registers really don't benifit (sic) from silver?
, Might be doable,, I have 2 20 ft pieces 14 ga sterling,,, my amp is bi post and Thors have bi posts.
But I was going to use only 1 20 ft piece for the 4 5ft sections of the upper MTM and use the other 20 ft piece for cable connects.
Thats all i could budget,,,but i will employ a solid copper wire from my stash of copper house 110 wire, which i have saved from recent home renovations = superior to the monsta (10 ga) strand wire.
I just don't think silver will add any pop to the very low register in the Seas W18 magnesium, which is crossed low. Its only low hz's. Silver will not add value.
This is my theory,,i could be wrong,,But the Madiosund tech mentioned about my new xover rebuild for the thors,,not necessary to use Silver/Gold Oil in the low midbass, as it will not make any dif from vs a lower cost Mundorf, Aluminium cap = half the price.
So thats how i know(hunch) the silver wire is not needed for low midbass.

Would you please explain what you mean by breakup in the signal path in connection with conductivity and litz or multi strand versus solid core? Sorry, English is not my first language and sometimes I need a bit of help.

There are practical reasons for the wire in the wall being solid core (easier to install, no need to use more expensive multistrand for a conductor that after installation won't be moved anymore). Also the "superior" needs to be taken in context.

*less breakup* = the signal path is more cleanly/strongly carried via a single solid core copper wire vs a strand with many tiny copper wires,,i've read somewhere on INET, *solid wire carries condunctance superior to stranded*..I could be mistaken = ??snakeoil??
Again, *superior*, lets say we get a 1% added current value to the Siemens (Siemens are the smallest unit of a electrical charge ) it is these Siemes which we want to have the quickest,easiest (= less resistance) in the pathway.
In this sense *Superior*, sure only 1%,,but with each mod, 1% here, 1% there, all adds up to a nice high fidelity gain value.
This is what i mean to say.
The PSQE80CC's are the Royal Star in my set my, all else supperts the Star of the show, the PSQE80CC (= the 2 AU sections in the Defy7. ).
Others might argue, , yes, but the PSQE80CC's,. are nothing more than the KEY that unlocks the magic WITHIN the high crafted design of the Defy 7.
True, arguably.
But I have to give the place to the PSQE80CC as the sun in my systems solor system,,all else (Defy 7, seas thor, cayin 17cdp) all are like planets revoling around the glory of the PSQE80CC = The Sun.
I know this opinion will not find many supporters, ,
I am being unreasonable, maybe unfair to Jadis, Seas, cayin. All I can tell you, w/o the PSQE80CC, the system has no sunshine. (= true high fidelity,,,the trem fidelity is a word i got off my Philips 2 way purchased in 1976, the best budget speaker in its day)

Paul, I doubt that any non-native Southern USA speaker will understand what you wrote.
I grew up in the Northern USA and I can't decode your post.

sp errors all over,,,,
Read YOU got me,, meraning, a shorter copper speaker wire will conduct at same SPEED as a longer silver,,,,As silver hasa 7% superior conductance vs copper.
But can this work out in terms of actual lenght?? I do not think so.

Silver
63X10^6
Copper
59X10^6
Artical goes on to say
~~copper has a MERE (scant) 2 ohm higher~~~
Now is 2 ohms a ~~mere nothing~~ , maybe in a home wire system,,but how about 2 ohms in a ohm sensitive stereo/speaker system.
This is the Q we need to figure out,,,as to those numbers,,no i have no idea what they mean.
63 vs 59..is this insignificant dif,,or can this 4 dif result in a *pop* in fidelity using silver vs copper.

Copper Vs. Silver Wire Conductivity | Sciencing

I believe it means given silver and copper conductors of the same cross section and the same length, the silver conductor while have lower resistance. This can be leveled by shortening the copper conductor a tiny bit.
Sumpn crazy like that.

By shorting copper wire say 7% less than a silver speaker wire,,,,, the wire, will this bring copper up to the same ohm conductance level as silver?

Copper Vs. Silver Wire Conductivity | Sciencing

@ JMFahey

You don;'t think that maybe the Siemens in the electrons will pass more smoothly and more electrified via silver vs copper???

Siemens is a unit of conductance ( the inverse of resistance ). Wires have conductance or the inverse, resistance to the flow of electrons. Electrons do not have Siemens.

hummm, OK, well we are speaking about
ohms
ampere
volts
now does silver possess a superior quality to conduct ohms, ampere's, volts , vs copper
If yes, then the amp/speakesr will both benifit from slver's superiority,,if only by a ~~mere~~ 2 ohms.
I am saying here, by employing as much silver in the system as possible, the amp/speakers will benifit = not snakeoil.
= The real Deal= No hype.
which is why i am trying to bring as much silver into my system as i can afford.
The tiny wires from the pc board in the Cayin and jadis needs to be changed out to pure 1mm or 1.5 mm pure silver. and a pure copper post.

Siemens (unit - Wikipedia)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Ordinary circuits are solid because it is CHEAPER. It's about cost versus flexibility. In-wall wire goes in once and #12 is flexible enough for that. Lamp-cord is always stranded because it moves. Wall-wire #6 and over is usually slightly stranded (if only 7 strand) because otherwise it is too hard to bend into boxes. Permanent Ethernet cable is solid for cheapness; net patch-cables are stranded because they get moved.

I've read a solid wire is superior to tiny strands,,,~~

Yes. Each strand is a different length. Each sound comes out a different time and place. Speed of light is a foot in a nanosecond. In a billion foot wire the sounds could be spread-out enough to hear a difference. Picture.

Attachments

• mozartfan-42.gif
    mozartfan-42.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: 1 user
On the strands,,,I have this (kooky) idea that tiny strands are ,,,well how can i get my idea across, lets say you havea tug-a-war,,if one side has a solid rope , all pulling same rope,,and the other team pulling each a separate twine from the rope,,which side do you think will win.??
Obviously the side with one solid rope, as its all in UNISON>
This is how i imagine a solid silver vs a stranded copper.
The electrons are flowing more happily along the path, in a stronger current, unified as 1 team, lets say.
I could be wrong,,its just this idea i have come to believe.
Plus the electrons are also fatser in the flow as they prefer silver to copper's conductance.
I just envision sound electrons dif from energy electrons.
Muisc is more electrified with silver as the conductance vs copper's denser material.
Resistance is lower,,all equating in a mod that works for the superior resolution of the fq's.
As I say, as soon as the jewlry platic hollow tube arrives, i will put together a sterling silver wire, no spades, direct connect. Before I do so, i will lock into memory Faith Hill's cd,,,and quaickly swap the copper stranded for the single 14 ga sterling silver,,
will report ASAP on the test findings
Unbiased, no hype, no snakeoil.
who knows, this whole thing may backfire = the silver 14 ga (tiny vs the thick copper strand) may result in a ~~anemic~~ resolution, which is a complete total failure of the testing. . Then I will beak up some extra house wire and usea single copper solid wire,,,and see what gives vs the copper stranded.
If no chnage, then ,,its back to square 1, = use same old stranded copper and move on to the next modification experiment.
If anyone has a case documented on this trial and error of silver vs copper etc, please posta link,,,,we will see how his findings line up with mine,,,,,,we need to get to the bottom of this silver vs copper in speaker wire,,,then we will move onto,,,RCA interconnects,,,with brass plated posts,,,vs pure copper posts.
,,waiting on the mlae posts to arrive from HK anyday.

where you see 5 SOLD, 4 of the 5 are my purchases, @ $33 <<each>>.

1PC RCA PLUG Viborg VR108 AUDIO Male RCA Cable Jack Plug Connector for HIFI DIY | eBay

yeah like $132 for the 4,,,,,if the mod turns out a winner (=not snakeoil) I will need 2 more,,,cd>pre>amp = 6. , add 2@ $30/ea. ,,,,,still i am ahead of the suckers who bought those pricey snakeoil connects.
You know the ones that run up into the K's of $'s.
and if my DIYer connects actually work out, ,,,I might start selling on ebay,,,yes I think I just might...., we need a vote,,,cast your opinion, , yeas and nays.
My vote is in, Yea on both speaker and interconnect = a success = not snakeoil.
Success = mid/high fq's sparkle , and glimmer, sound stage explodes, The Thors now sound like never before.

It is difficult to conceive of any place in an audio system where silver gives a genuine useful advantage over copper. This assumes, of course, that the audio system in in this universe and subject to the known laws of physics. However, this fact will never prevent people from playing and believing the opposite and telling others.

My own view is that the preference for silver simply arises from the nice shiny surface. If it looks that good then surely it must be better? This is alchemy, not physics.

The problem here is that 'mozartfan' has seen bits of engineering knowledge taken out of context and misapplied.
we have:
  • AC power cords
  • loudspeaker cables
  • RCA unbalanced analog interconnects
  • XLR balanced analog interconnects
  • RCA unbalanced digital interconnects
  • XLR balanced digital interconnects
  • data cables
  • 12 GHz 4K video coax cables
each has it's own requirements. What's good for one, may be bad for another.

It is difficult to conceive of any place in an audio system where silver gives a genuine useful advantage over copper. This assumes, of course, that the audio system in in this universe and subject to the known laws of physics. However, this fact will never prevent people from playing and believing the opposite and telling others.

My own view is that the preference for silver simply arises from the nice shiny surface. If it looks that good then surely it must be better? This is alchemy, not physics.

well then why does Mundorf engineers employ silver in the caps and testimonies are the silver has BLOSSMED the fq's.
Are you say, tin foil caps are equal with silver foli caps?
Now i am not so gullible as to fall for the added Gold series,,which adds a hefty cost on each cap,,no, to me the 1% added gold is snakeoil.
Also the superme silver/gold may be as M's site says *even better* vs the silver/gold,,,but i do have limits.
If I spent the extra for Supremes,,could i truthfully hear a higher resolution in fq's?
maybe yes, but how much superior?
This silver/copper mod is costing me, say $400,,,,if it works to a higher resloution, then the mod paid off.
I will post a vid and everyone can decide for themselves , if they can hear a dif.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.