Mouser sold me 5 year old Nichicon Caps - should I use them or demand a refund?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I ordered a pile a caps from Mouser this week to recap a 20 year old Adcom amp. The amp works fine, but I plan to keep it, so I thought I'd service it as preventative maintenance.

While reviewing my parts order, I discovered the Nichicon KW series 63v 100uf caps they sent me were made in the 32nd week of 2011.

It seems silly to me to start with 5 year old caps, but I though I'd see what others here think.

I buy most of my parts from them. I am sorry to hear this.

I would not know how to check on the date of manufacture!

Just got some KWs recently though of a different value and voltage.

You would think NICHICON would have recommendations on how long distributors can keep components on the shelf..

MOUSER goes to absurd lengths in their packing of orders. I am sure they learned the hard way about not being careful about this but nonetheless I would have thought this same concern would carry over to old inventory.

Plastic film caps are another story, of course - but electrolytics are far from "lifetime" components.

So long as the leads are still easily solderable

I am sure you are right as to whether they are usable. I routinely SCOTCHBRITE leads so I might miss out on this!

Are you saying this based upon simple oxidation or from some of the liquid having seeped onto the leads and cause corrosion?

I perceived the concern was about loss of usable life with the cap.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll be contacting Mouser customer service tomorrow morning.

I would not know how to check on the date of manufacture!
See the attached a picture of the date codes on a variety of Nichicons, the format seems to be a letter, then the two digit year, then the two digit week.

Attachments

• Nichicon Cap Date Examples.jpg
    Nichicon Cap Date Examples.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 563
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I too have the utmost confidence in Nichicon caps. If I was just performing a run of the mill repair, I think I'd use these caps without much worry.

In this particular case I bought new caps to replace 20 year old ones for preventative maintenance, and to indulge my OCD tendencies, as such I don't want to cut any corners.

Mouser gave me a refund for these caps, so I ordered a slightly different version which will hopefully show up with a more recent manufacture date.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.