How do I find a Replacement Rotary Encoder?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can I learn about rotary encoders? There are plenty of Youtube videos on "how an encoder works", but I only need to know how to replace them when they are broken. I receive a lot of rack mount gear and integrated-DSP instrument amplifiers.

When I scroll through the Mouser website, I would like to know how to describe an encoder that has:

(2) separate binary tracks, the inside track having (40) conductive marks, and the outside track having (32) conductive tracks. There are (2) sets of brushes attached to the shaft.

Thanks.

I have never had to look for number of marks.

Your encoder is either an absolute position encoder, or a relative encode. The first works like a pot in that the direction you aim it determines the output. The relative encoder is used to turn something up and down incrementally, but the position it aims tells us nothing. The common data wheel is an example of the latter - it rotates 360 degrees forever.

A three leg encoder is usually two in quadrature. There will be two on/off outputs and a common, and they operate a bit off sync. SO if you turn the shaft, one closes first before the other. Depending on which direction you turn, the circuit sees on or the other first, and so determines direction.

Given more legs, you can find encoders with binary output or Gray Code, or other.

To replace one, first, find ones that look similar. If you need a 9mm encoder, a 16mm won't fit. Does it have a shaft you can use? I find Mouser describes them well enough. They come in various numbers of steps. In the case of a data wheel, it may not matter how many steps, one would just step more spaces for a given rotation. All these factors help you narrow down to a useful selection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.