Assorted Resistor Kits Wanted [Nov. 2017]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After decades I have finally ehrrmm... realized I need a broad collection of assorted resistor to get things done.

I am first and foremost looking for 1/4 - 0,6 Watt leaded metal film and preferably non-magnetic, there are lots of assorted resistors on eBay AliExpress etc so I would like to hear with you guys is there any recommended seller/source who have non-magnetic metal films at prices more suitable for a "poor DIY'er"?

Same with SMD if anyone knows, thanks!

Last edited:
Looked around a bit and this is what I found:

500Pcs 50Values Each 10Pcs Resistors Set 1ohm~1M 1W (1 Watt) Metal Film for a bit over US $10
2017 Best Promotion 500Pcs 50Values Each 10Pcs Resistors Set 1ohm~1M 1W (1 Watt) Metal Film Resistor Assortment Kit Convenient-in Resistors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

and 1/2W Metal Film 1% 127valuesX10pcs=1270pcs 0.5W 1R~1M Assorted Resistor Kit Pack Sample Book ca. US $47
1/2W Metal Film 1% 127valuesX10pcs=1270pcs 0.5W 1R~1M Assorted Resistor Kit Pack Sample Book-in Resistors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Any risks investing in these?

I'm paying about $.01 to $.06 for metal film .5 or .6 watt, from Newark (farnell USA). The secret is setting a range of values and powers, and checking to see what is on sale, ie end of rolls or old stock. For example, 470 ohms .6 w 5% was $.07, 475 ohms 1% .6 w was $.014. Check the in stock button and exclude direct ship (from the UK at $25 a shipment) I will buy to 2 watts for transistor projects, and 4 watts for vacuum tube. (high voltage length). I usually buy at least $1 worth of a value. Suppliers are usually Vishay, Welwyn, multicomp, and those usually come from the TH, ME MY BR or TW plants. International has been universally CH. I just rolled seven twice in a row on a recent purchase for items available only from CH, so you were warned.
I tack these onto my regular orders, so I don't pay freight.
I keep the bags stacked in larger bags by decade, in the proper order. So it is nearly as easy as opening the old ohmmite kit drawer for the 1/4 watt carbon comps.

Last edited:
I bought a resistor "kit" decades ago from a supplier. I still have a number of those values unused. In tube amps, there are some values I use all the time: 220k, 100k, 1.5k, etc. Others I rarely use. WHen I got into digital, other values came up a lot: 1k, 10k, 180 ohms (Seemed to use those for LEDs off +5). Op amps brought others into common use.

I found if I buy 100 of a value from a supplier like Mouser, I get than at a little over a cent each. I store them sorted into small manila "coin envelopes". I am still waiting to use from my kit: 3.3meg, 1.8meg, 75 ohm, oh and the others.

If you can put together a list of likely values, you might consider making your own kit.

I bought a set of resistors on ePay. They weren't worth even the little money I paid. They were marketed (and marked) as ±1 % tolerance resistors but were really closer to ±5 % (as measured by my calibrated HP 34401A bench top multimeter). The enamel coating was so bad that it rubbed off by the simple touch of a finger. I even spent some time looking to make sure I got a good kit... Guess I got what I paid for - which wasn't much.
The challenge with resistor kits on ePay is that they often contain rather useless resistor values rather than the commonly used E12-series or E24-series values. So even if you end up with good resistors you'll find that they aren't as useful in practice.

I ended up going through Newark/Farnell and paying about $75 for a set of E12-series ±1 % metal film resistors. 100 of each value from 1.0 Ω to 1.0 MΩ.

Tom

hah, have you checked what's the tolerance on them? :)

edit: btw thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming, somewhere there must exist affordable resistor kits for poor diy'ers.
I am aware of all the scam and fraud junk coming mainly from China, I wonder why there's so little stuff coming from Taiwan, at least I barely see any Taiwan sellers on eBay.

Last edited:
hah, have you checked what's the tolerance on them? :)

edit: btw thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming, somewhere there must exist affordable resistor kits for poor diy'ers.
I am aware of all the scam and fraud junk coming mainly from China, I wonder why there's so little stuff coming from Taiwan, at least I barely see any Taiwan sellers on eBay.

High values (for my tube amp work) within %1, low values %5 and consistant (grabbed 4 15R resistors and they were all 14.7R but when they're 10/$0.01 you can hand match them. The power ratings are different though. a 2W resistor will handle 2W but it will turn brown and outgas in the process. The 1/2W resistors seem more consistant. If the schematic calls for 2W use 3W or 5W.

Just pay attention. Some of the blue resistors that are usually metal film are actually %1 carbon... If it doesn't specify it's not MF.

Last edited:
After decades I have finally ehrrmm... realized I need a broad collection of assorted resistor to get things done.

I am first and foremost looking for 1/4 - 0,6 Watt leaded metal film and preferably non-magnetic, there are lots of assorted resistors on eBay AliExpress etc so I would like to hear with you guys is there any recommended seller/source who have non-magnetic metal films at prices more suitable for a "poor DIY'er"?

Same with SMD if anyone knows, thanks!

If you need passive components for your next DIY project Mouser is interesting option.
Save 50 $ and you have free shipping world wide at that cost.
All parts are genuine high quality.
Vishay Dale resistors RN, CMF metal film low noise are at good price:
CMF5010K000FHEB Vishay / Dale | Mouser France
https://www.mouser.fr/Vishay-Dale/P...Resistors/_/N-7h7z5?P=1yzbpodZ1yy8uqbZ1yzmno7
RN65C2500BB14 Vishay / Dale | Mouser France
Why get tons of low quality resistors ?
My experience from Bay was waste of money : steel magnetic material resistors. Poor quality construction.
Buy only what you need for your DAC, preamp, amp, crossovers etc. resistor cost is not to high
with this logic you can buy capacitors, diodes, transistors at the same time.
SMD resistors go for Susumu brand thin film made in Japan available at Mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/392/n_catalog_partition01_en-1140338.pdf
https://www.mouser.fr/search/refine.aspx?N=4292902424+12549316
You are ready to build new DIY electronics :D
Kindest regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.