Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Pls help me find capacitors
Pls help me find capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

Default Pls help me find capacitors

Hello,

My very old (probably philips) el84 tube amplifiers are having problems with what I think are the capacitors.
I like the amps a lot.

I wrote down the information that is printed on them, which is as follows:

AC 6011/32+32
0 32 uF - 500V
^32 uF - 500V
70 Celcius
3-1

and:
AC 6010/50+50
0 50 uF - 450V
^50 uF - 450V
70 Celcius
3-1

I don't know which ones(or both) are in the signal path, but when replacing them I would like to use very good replacements (the best affordable..?).
Size dopes not matter, because I like to improve sound,not looks, so if they don't fit in their original place, I will put the whole in a new enclosure, or whatever works.

Thank you for your much appreciated help!

Sincerely,

Gaston
Old 31st October 2017, 03:21 PM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi, also the capacitors that are in the power supply are part of the signal path !

those are double caps -twin- in one can
32 u ( micro ) F ( Farad ) each - 500 V
and 50 uF - 450 V

So if you want to make it look exactly, just look for the same types
such as these
Dual Value Caps :: F+T Capacitors :: Electrolytics :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH

or go with single caps that will fit underneath the chassis
Old 31st October 2017, 08:17 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why do you think these capacitors are the cause of your problems? Before fixing a fault you first have to diagnose it.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:22 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
My very old (probably philips) el84 tube amplifiers are having problems with what I think are the capacitors.
Do the amps have hum, or do the output tubes not bias correctly.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies.
The reason I think there is one of them with a defect is because for as long as I hae them, there was a reoccurring humm, and lately the amp stops making any sound at all. But not all the time. When I tap the side, it sometimes stops (the humm). When I opened the cover and tapped one of these caps, it started working and I could hear the tapping with one (the same cap).
Now I would like to replace them all, since they are all in the signal path (thank you for mentioning that).
I heard fantastic sounding caps (Duelund) but I don't know if there are replacement caps they make that fit here. Any other suggestions? I am looking for an upgrade and they are mostly not that expensive (except for the Duelund caps then.. ).

Thank you again for your replies!

Sincerely,

Gaston
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

And when I go with the single caps, do you mean that I have to use two per replacement cap?
Gaston
BTW my father was an electrotechnical engineer, but I know ..nothing..
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

I would not know if the output tubes bias correctly. Wouldn't know how and where to measure that as well, nor what they are supposed to measure..
Old 5th November 2017, 01:23 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It seems to me that there is no clear sign yet that these caps are the source of the fault. Tapping anything rigidly attached to the chassis is the same as tapping the chassis. My guess is that you have a poor solder joint somewhere or some other loose connection. Find that ans th amp will work. Then you can investigate the hum.

Check DC voltages. That is always the place to start faultfinding.
Old 5th November 2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanx for your reply again..
After tapping the cap, I could both hear it and the hum disappeared.
And if it was not the caps, they will at least have been replaced with better sounding ones.
I am not at all capable of measuring anything, nor of drawing conclusions related to measurements I did take a look at the solder joints before, but did not seen any that were lose.
Old 5th November 2017, 02:42 PM   #10
kaputt is offline kaputt  Germany
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
I am not at all capable of measuring anything, nor of drawing conclusions related to measurements
I don't want to be a prick, but have you ever unsoldered and soldered something? I don't know what amp you have there or how it is constructed but if you have no clue what you are doing you need to be careful not to mess up a pcb or put in electrolytics the wrong way and blow them up...

Pls help me find capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!