Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Pls help me find capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2017, 07:42 PM   #11
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops
And if it was not the caps, they will at least have been replaced with better sounding ones.
Changing well-made capacitors (probably in the PSU) for other well-made capacitors which cost 10 or 50 times as much (wild guess) is not an upgrade, except for the bank balance of the person selling the caps.

Quote:
I am not at all capable of measuring anything, nor of drawing conclusions related to measurements
Then you are almost certainly not capable of fixing this amp, except by sheer luck.
Old 5th November 2017, 09:04 PM   #12
cowboy99 is offline cowboy99  United States
diyAudio Member

Woops,
Your choice of member name....stuck in my head Too ironic...
Thought it best to give my advice, hope you get your amp fixed. BUT Dude !
No one, especially here wants you to 'play', 'guess' 'jiggle' around with a Tube Amp circuit and risk getting yourself or loved one severely hurt or killed. The voltages/current involved ARE LETHAL (350-500+VDC) Old failing electrolytic caps can explode and easily blind, maim or worse! Lack of knowledge isn't a bad thing, BUT it's the MOST DANGEROUS THING with tube circuits.
Please, DON'T PLAY WITH IT! Safety Sam Says "Take to someone who has skills/experience" Beg, Barter.. whatever. Most any good 'Tuber' would rather help for free than you risk your life.
Charles

Opps, Oh No, Whoa, WOOPS, etc... bad Karma with tubes
Old 5th November 2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Sgkho249 is offline Sgkho249
diyAudio Member

Woops,
Your choice of member name....stuck in my head Too ironic...
Thought it best to give my advice, hope you get your amp fixed. BUT Dude !
No one, especially here wants you to 'play', 'guess' 'jiggle' around with a Tube Amp circuit and risk getting yourself or loved one severely hurt or killed. The voltages/current involved ARE LETHAL (350-500+VDC) Old failing electrolytic caps can explode and easily blind, maim or worse! Lack of knowledge isn't a bad thing, BUT it's the MOST DANGEROUS THING with tube circuits.
Please, DON'T PLAY WITH IT! Safety Sam Says "Take to someone who has skills/experience" Beg, Barter.. whatever. Most any good 'Tuber' would rather help for free than you risk your life.
Charles

Opps, Oh No, Whoa, WOOPS, etc... bad Karma with tubes

++1
WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE

You should bring to someone who know how to handle it.
But my guess it's a cold joint.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:33 AM   #14
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

Thank you for your concern. My screen name may indeed not have been the best choice, but it sometimes is hard to find one that is not in use.
Asking straight questions does not make anyone a prick! Thank you for the question! :-)
I mostly expect someone to be sincere, I read a question for what it is: a question.

I have soldered together an 8 deck DDDAC and my soldering looks quite ok. As far as I know one has to discharge the caps, or wait sufficiently long before working on them. Then, how can they explode with no more current in them?

Is it so that a better capacitors are up to 50x more expensive? this is all relative, for I did not buy the original, but if they are say 50€ a piece and they give good sonic improvement, I don't see a problem.
I also do not see how not being able to measure means that I can not fix this? If it is the capacitor, maybe a loose soldering, putting another cap in it's place does not require a lot of measuring? Or am I overlooking something (even less than basic)?
I am interested in both doing it myself (which is also 'bonding' with the equipment, which stands for adding quality to my life) and in a sonic improvement. So I am still very much interested to hear what is a good, great or the 'best' replacement capacitors I can get.

If I get insecure about my capability to do it myself, I can then still find someone who can do it for me, no?
So please can anyone name them?

Anyway, thank you for your advice and your help!
Much appreciated!

Gaston
Old 8th November 2017, 10:42 AM   #15
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it so that a better capacitors are up to 50x more expensive? this is all relative, for I did not buy the original, but if they are say 50€ a piece and they give good sonic improvement, I don't see a problem.
They may cost 50 a piece, but not give any sonic improvement.

Quote:
I also do not see how not being able to measure means that I can not fix this?
The first stage in diagnosing a fault is to check DC voltages. You say you cannot do this. The second stage is work out from what you have measured what might be going wrong. You say you cannot do this.

You have two choices to fix this amp:
1. learn about electronics
2. find someone else who already has
Old 11th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #16
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Hello all,

Then, how can they explode with no more current in them?

Gaston
They won't. What's being said is they have a polarity, and if you accidentally connect one backwards it can explode.

At the very least to do this type of thing you should read about tube circuits, the dangers of high voltages, and acquire a minimum of test equipment including a good DMM. You mentioned you've soldered before so I assume you have that equipment.

Here's a good place to start.

Basic Electricity Vol 1 To Vol 5 Van Valkenburgh : Rider Publication : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Basic Electronics, Volumes 1-5 (1955) : Van Valkenburgh Nooger & Neville : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Last edited by kodabmx; 11th November 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 15th November 2017, 03:02 PM   #17
Woops is offline Woops
diyAudio Member

Hi,
kodabmx, thank you for a more constructive input. I got the feeling that I was seen as an idiot, needing protection against himself..
Because of some of the previous replies, I had given up on trying to do this myself. Now I will read the information on the links first.
Telling me that it is important to solder the caps the right way, or else it may explode on turning on, sounds quite different than 'they may explode' and 'you are never going to be able to repair it your self'.
I am now 50 years old, but the advices along those lines did brig me back to my childhood and my know it all father. He actually did know 'all', but his way with me scared me away from doing anything myself until not too long ago.

Actually it was I think the beginning of this year that out of the blue a schematic of a simple amplifier suddenly seemed comprehensible.
Of course I know that I know very little, specially compared to all this people here that make and experiment with amazing stuff, but I do not have a brick wall in front of me and doing something will result in a happier life than doing nothing will do. And that is something a lot of DIY members promote, so I was a little taken back with the responses.

Anyway, I will read. Though I am quite sure that this matter is way too much and complicated for anyone to quickly understand.

Goodbye!
Old 15th November 2017, 03:19 PM   #18
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

You're welcome. I think the point that some were trying to make is that working on a tube amp can be lethal if you don't understand what's going on, and nobody wants that!

Always check for voltage before you work. Those capacitors can hold a charge for a long time! Wear rubber soled shoes, and keep one hand in a pocket or behind your back, that way if you DO contact the high voltage it won't pass through your chest.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:46 PM   #19
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post

Anyway, I will read. Though I am quite sure that this matter is way too much and complicated for anyone to quickly understand.
I've found this stuff pretty entertaining to learn, even if it doesn't come quickly. Just keep reading; you'll get there.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Pls help me find capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!