Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

AV Receiver Motorized Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?
AV Receiver Motorized Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
DreadPirate is offline DreadPirate  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AV Receiver Motorized Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?

Broken motorized volume pot on a 1990's AV receiver Kenwood KR-V9030. The existing pot is an Alps, looks very similar to the RK168, so it is what I plan to get, may or may not work, can't tell one way or another if the pinouts remain the same, but that is fine, no loss if it does not end up working. On the Alps pot: 136t-100K19BX4. It is a four gang pot, 100K, no problem there. Thing is the "B" indicates a linear taper, but I have always used log for audio which would have an "A" in the model number. And that is what seems to be more widely available. In fact, can't even find "B." Any issues going with the A vs the B? I realize it will get louder quicker as you turn, perhaps the 100K value tends to help with this?
Old 27th July 2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Old'n'Cranky is offline Old'n'Cranky  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would've thought it should be a Log pot.
Maybe someone previous replaced it with the wrong part.
Whats the service manual say ?
Old 27th July 2017, 10:28 PM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Are there resistors between the wipers and ground, around 22k? Makes a "log" pot out of a linear one
Old 30th July 2017, 11:13 PM   #4
DreadPirate is offline DreadPirate  United States
diyAudio Member

These KR-VX030 series receivers use linear pots and some kind of resistor network (10K on this model, perhaps 22K on others) to modify the volume control output. I could only find 100K log RK168 pots (at an astoundingly good price of $15 shipped) I will report back for anyone having to do this one day. Failure was via tampering by a 4 year old, so not necessarily a failure point for this type of receiver.
  Reply to this post

AV Receiver Motorized Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?Hide this!Advertise here!