AV Receiver Motorized Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Broken motorized volume pot on a 1990's AV receiver Kenwood KR-V9030. The existing pot is an Alps, looks very similar to the RK168, so it is what I plan to get, may or may not work, can't tell one way or another if the pinouts remain the same, but that is fine, no loss if it does not end up working. On the Alps pot: 136t-100K19BX4. It is a four gang pot, 100K, no problem there. Thing is the "B" indicates a linear taper, but I have always used log for audio which would have an "A" in the model number. And that is what seems to be more widely available. In fact, can't even find "B." Any issues going with the A vs the B? I realize it will get louder quicker as you turn, perhaps the 100K value tends to help with this?

These KR-VX030 series receivers use linear pots and some kind of resistor network (10K on this model, perhaps 22K on others) to modify the volume control output. I could only find 100K log RK168 pots (at an astoundingly good price of $15 shipped) I will report back for anyone having to do this one day. Failure was via tampering by a 4 year old, so not necessarily a failure point for this type of receiver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.