TOSLINK JIS F05 Connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for some TOSLINK receivers and for some reason I just can't seem to find much. Clearly my keywords are wrong... The best I found was

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=TORX147 which are all EOL.

I found a few on ebay for rather expensive prices ($4 CAD each) which i'm fine paying from digikey or mouser, but from china that's a little steep. I also find it hard to believe they cost that much when a $5-10 usb DAC comes with one.

I'm making a selector board to go to a DAC. My TV and PS3/PS4 only do optical out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, I dealt with the same issue. Apparently the Toshiba factory in Thailand was devastated by a flood in 2010. They decided not to rebuild. Since then only non-Toshiba ones can be found at distributors. Quality differs. Everlight are not bad ones but I prefer the original ones. I have used China no name ones that had brittle plastic after a while which only strengthened my opinion to find original ones especially the TORX147/TOTX147.

The name "Toslink" seems to be protected as every manufacturer calls the system different hence the "Photolink". Makes it even harder to find compatible ones.

Please note:

1. 3.3V only and 5V only versions exist.

2. 3.3/5V tolerant ones exist

3. some have chassis screw holes and some don't.

4. Some have those annoying shutters and some haven't.

5. Various versions with different footprint exist. Some have extra solder pins for mechanical stability.

6. Some have different depth which makes the connector fall out as it can't lock.

7. Some versions can do 96 kHz max. and some even 192 kHz. I admit this is thin ice as I haven't bothered putting time in this to verify.

8. Wavelength of the LED color seems to differ between Toshiba ones and the others. I haven't had problems but thought it could be less optimal using a non-Toshiba TOTX coupled to a Toshiba TORX.

9. No name ones vary a lot in maximum bitrate ! Finding a datasheet can be hard. Some are not only no name but also lack a type number.

Considering widespread use of 3.3V receivers I used the following criteria: 650 nM, 3.3V, 15 Mbit/s NRZ. These allow 24 bit 96 kHz. I did my best and found original TORX147 and TOTX147 but they were way more expensive than they should be.

Since SPDIF over coax has 7 times less jitter I adapted some devices to coax.

Last edited:
Since SPDIF over coax has 7 times less jitter I adapted some devices to coax.

Yeah this is more just dealing with the fact that I have multiple things that only do TOSLINK (ps3,ps4,TV,computers,etc) in a few cases it's either that or hdmi which starts to get complicated - I really just want to have those devices go out my speakers and not swap cables.

Considering widespread use of 3.3V receivers I used the following criteria: 650 nM, 3.3V, 15 Mbit/s NRZ. These allow 24 bit 96 kHz. I did my best and found original TORX147 and TOTX147 but they were way more expensive than they should be.

I'm just confused though because it's clear things are using toslink - if you look on newegg for instance the majority of motherboards are putting on toslink connectors over a coaxial connection - some cases they don't even have headers, so it's toslink or nothing. New game consoles all use toslink, lots of dvd players. So I just don't understand why this is such a difficult part to track down?

It's even more bizarre when I can find switches from china for quite cheap - many times cheaper than the connectors I have seen!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When I was looking for TORX/TOTX147 I got in contact with a polish gentleman. He has them in stock but, even better, he also offers a complete Toslink switch with several inputs. I am looking for you right now.

Found it: http://serwis.avt.pl/manuals/AVT5303.pdf

Seems to be a 4 input and 2 output Toslink switch. I recall him having it ready built in stock.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As explained, all use cheap no name Toslink connectors. None use Toshiba ones as these are not made anymore for years. The polish one uses original Toshiba TOTX/TORX147. Not as cheap but quality has a price.

I was just as astonished to find this out. The brand that invented Toslink does not produce them anymore (at least not the audio ones).

BTW I think I would use Wolfson WM8805 for switching Toslink and coax SPDIF inputs. WM8805 has also SPDIF output so coax or Toslink to the DAC.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.