Choosing capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's the capacitance. What do you want to do to your amp?

In this thread there is a user who did those. I just want to do the input capacitor part. I PMed him but he has not been active for a long time. So, decided to open a thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/298796-sure-electronics-aa-ab32313-2x400-2.html

My mini tweak amplifier AA-AB32313:
Removed schottky diodes D5-D12
Replace power capacitors on Nichicon PM 2200x50V (supply voltage 32V)
Replace the input ceramic capacitors on Elna Silmic II 10x16V
Replace the fan on low noise - Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX

Last edited:
jencelo said:
Removed schottky diodes D5-D12
What were these diodes doing? Did you simply remove them or replace them? If so, with what - other diodes, a short circuit, a piece of string?

Replace power capacitors on Nichicon PM 2200x50V (supply voltage 32V)
Replacing reservoir caps can be helpful if the originals are old and suffer from raised ESR. Otherwise probably a waste of money.

Replace the input ceramic capacitors on Elna Silmic II 10x16V
Whether this is a good idea would depend on what they were doing - coupling cap or RF filter cap?

Does it matter what the specs of the capacitors are?
Yes. If in doubt (which you clearly are) then you should assume that the original designer knew what he was doing. To genuinely improve a circuit you need to understand it better than the designer. This is possible, but a lot rarer than tweakers fondly imagine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.