So What Kind of RCA Jacks do we like???

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....I was down at the local Home Depot and they don't stock metric drill bits....

They can get them, but it sure took me long enough to find them, and I would not buy a big set to mount a few jacks.

Which is all extra-funny because Home Depot must have contracts for metric bits for their Canadian operations. (Which have a much sleeker website, but won't sell cross-border.)

Attachments

• HD-Metric-Bits-42.gif
    HD-Metric-Bits-42.gif
    173.9 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for your advice. I do appreciate it.
I bought 10 of the Rean RCA jacks, which I was able to get quickly from Mouser.
I also bought 8 of the mystery Chinese rhodium-plated RCA jacks because they were cheap, look good, and I like rhodium plating. Those will take a few weeks to get here.
I'll use 'em, compare, maybe I'll remember to report back how they compare.

Oh, I've seen those Neutrik RCA jacks in the extra housing. The only problem there is that I don't have any way to make the 15/16" round holes they require. Otherwise those would certainly be a great choice. Or maybe I could use a 1" chassis punch? I think I have one of those...
--

Last edited:
I've always used Neutrik RCA until starting a preamp project with many inputs which would have required more drilling and space than desired. Purchased Rean for 6 pairs, and was going to put a single pair of Neutrik on the front panel.
I started to disassemble a Rean connector a few minutes ago and was looking at it wondering how the micro shoulder washer could possibly isolate from the chassis. It's tiny.
Holes were drilled to 5/16" and used a hand reamer as shown in post #22. Is a 10mm drill bit the right tool for the job?
Do many people not isolate their RCA from the chassis, and that's why they often tie all of their signal grounds together with a piece of wire?
Started shopping for more substantial nylon shoulder washers but out of stock everywhere.

Last edited:
I ordered a metric stepped drill bit and try to use the Rean with the isolation washers provided. If not isolating, would be mixing grounding schemes by having the front Neutrik input isolated, maybe be an interesting test.
Your grounding scheme makes me wonder about a tube phono stage I have with a separate PSU chassis. An alligator clip wire connecting the two chassis makes for less hum.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I do appreciate it.
I bought 10 of the Rean RCA jacks, which I was able to get quickly from Mouser.
I also bought 8 of the mystery Chinese rhodium-plated RCA jacks because they were cheap, look good, and I like rhodium plating. Those will take a few weeks to get here.
I'll use 'em, compare, maybe I'll remember to report back how they compare.

Oh, I've seen those Neutrik RCA jacks in the extra housing. The only problem there is that I don't have any way to make the 15/16" round holes they require. Otherwise those would certainly be a great choice. Or maybe I could use a 1" chassis punch? I think I have one of those...
--
I never did report back, so here goes...
I've used those Rean RCA jacks from Mouser in a couple of small builds. I think they're 100% perfectly fine. They're more expensive now, about $47 for 10 pairs of gold plated, red and black.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/REAN/NYS367-2?qs=R5cXQUTKuHXVYwwK%2BeCprA==
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/REAN/NYS367-0?qs=R5cXQUTKuHU8XkQYanQZXg==

BNC connectors are good but not commonly used in analog audio.

I put differential inputs on all my gear so XLR is my go-to. The Neutrik ones are good and very affordable ($3ish each).

For PCB-mount RCA connectors I do like these: https://neurochrome.com/collections/connectors-parts/products/rca-connectors That said, I'm obviously biased. :) What I like about them is that they have round pins so they're easy to fit properly to a PCB unlike other connectors which require slots. They also look good and the gold-plated hardware is a nice touch. That said, one can do way better than an RCA connector (fancy or not).

Tom

Absolutely agree with this statement. After a few decades of building stuff these have definitely caused some aggravation on a few occasions. Considered going BNC, mini XLR's, or some other alternative if someone had a good suggestion.
There are BNC/RCA and RCA/BNC adaptors, so you can change to all BNC without losing the compatibility. SMA RF connectors are another possibility.