Pimp my DAC - new caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have the Teac UD-301 DAC and i am quite happy with this.
For better sound i want to change the caps:

inside is actually (in the internet you get some nice pics)

at the main board
about 60 pcs Suncon 100µF 25V (green Gold) 105°
about 15 pcs KMG 100µF 25V (dark red) 105°

directly after the transformer
Jamicon 4700µF/25V SK 85° (black)
2x KMG 4700µF/35V 105° (dark red)

Are the (Sanyo) Suncon caps fine, i get nearly nothing from forums about the quality ....good?
I have good sound quality for Muse from nichicon.(KZ and KW) and i have it on stock):D

What do you think?

kr
Chris

Hi

i changed my caps (i mustdo it for my 25 years old Accuphase C200V Preamp) and it was very good that i did this. :)its not just in my mind - you can reproduce that change if the other components are the same (other preamp) and other listeners are agree to this change.
nevertheless
i changed all caps with Elna RFS and nichicon series(not all muse series, KA, KW),yes for power supply it is not needed. you are right.

Any objection to the Suncon(Sanyo) and Jamicon??

Thanks for your imput

chris

Last edited:
Something I would try is to carefully place a sheet metal shield around the transformer.
Hi phase

thx for that ...but its done...;)

next step is to portect the usb Board with a shield housing (i use a steel housing for HF tuners...just 3 Euro..)

bye
chris

Attachments

• 20170126_162440.jpg
    20170126_162440.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 276
  • TeacUD301_copper foil.jpg
    TeacUD301_copper foil.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 270
Thats nice idea but remember u must connect every conductive part to chasis like those shield housings.

Hi Basi

Yes i know, the only change to get a good shielded housing is to screw it at the same mounting angle where the usb board is connected to the rear plate.(its on the rear panel where the usb and spdif is mounted.

i made a check after this copper foil session to my reference - DAC Mytek Brooklyn.
the Teac is comming nearer and nearer.:)
i really like the sound of the BB 1795.
I also testetd the Aune S16 with the AK4495 -its amazing!!!!!!- sounds better than the brooklyn.

Do you think i have to ground the copper foil of the cables too?

bye
chris

Hi Basi

Yes i know, the only change to get a good shielded housing is to screw it at the same mounting angle where the usb board is connected to the rear plate.(its on the rear panel where the usb and spdif is mounted.

i made a check after this copper foil session to my reference - DAC Mytek Brooklyn.
the Teac is comming nearer and nearer.:)
i really like the sound of the BB 1795.
I also testetd the Aune S16 with the AK4495 -its amazing!!!!!!- sounds better than the brooklyn.

Do you think i have to ground the copper foil of the cables too?

bye
chris
Yes of course.if interference rf or whatever came in that shield there must be a way where this interference must go and that way is ground or chasis.

any experience with the total amoutn of hours?

Hi

next question. its generally about the hours of a cap.

If you use during the work week your DAC and Preamps etc in the evening for e.g. 2 hours and on the weekend more than lets say after 6 month you have:
per week 14 hours in operation * 30*6 = 2520hours

Have anybody experience about some ESR measurements or sound changes if the totat amount of hours of the caps are going more than e.g. 2000hours or 10000hours????

its clear. if a dielectricum is comming out of the cap--> than its over with the cap:D

thanks
chris

...sorry...dont mix two topics

Hi to all

sorry it is maybe too confusing

1. is my project "pimp my DAC -Teac ud301
2. generally discussion about the caps and the lifetime

ad 1
yes the actually caps are partly fine (Jamicon i should change in the first step)
and all other thinks it will come - step by step

ad 2
every manufactor give you a datasheet with his "warranty" ;) that the cap is under special condition like its written. ok clear.
but if i look at the lifetime - the hours - than i have to think about the device running time. ok?
so my question:
if you use your device (DAC, preamp, "no DAC") for some month, eg. 12-18 month, and you are enjoying your music - Has somebody make some tests about new caps and existing (old) caps ?

...update...its not easy

hi

the next step is the housing of the USB board. Its not easy. nothing is fitting....;)
My idea to fix it on the rear panel is obsulete becuase the connectors on the pcb are too big and have to be closed to the rear panel. otherwise i cannot plug in.

so its ongoing...

Attachments

• USB housing_5_smal.jpg
    USB housing_5_smal.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 158
  • USB housing_4_smal.jpg
    USB housing_4_smal.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 147
  • USB housing_3_smal.jpg
    USB housing_3_smal.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 159
  • USB housing_2_smal.jpg
    USB housing_2_smal.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 147
  • USB housing_1_smal.jpg
    USB housing_1_smal.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 174
  • USB housing_6_smal.jpg
    USB housing_6_smal.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.