Currently available TO-264 insulators?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been using Keratherm Red 86/83 pads for some time. Keratherm is hard to source (the Store is the only practical option at present), its price has doubled since my last purchase and I've seen some deterioration that may have caused some problems I've recently experienced, so it seemed like a good time to consider alternatives.

I've had no experience with AI203, but its specs look good, the price is low (I just bought 150 pieces sized for TO-247 for under $25.00 (US) delivered) and even after adding the cost of high quality thermal paste, it seems like a bargain compared to Keratherm and similar products. Maybe the drudgery of glopping paste will become an issue in time, but it seems like a worthwhile exercise.

We shall see.

Regards.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And a follow-up: I've ordered AI203 ceramic pads and will buy either Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme paste to use with the pads, but I noticed that there are quite a few thermal pads designed for computer gamers and overclockers that appear to be better than Keratherm Red. For example, Gelid's Ultimate thermal pad has a W/mK rating of 15 as opposed to Keratherm Red's 8. Yes, you'd have to cut the Ultimate pad down to size and punch a hole, but the price for a 90x50x1.0mm pad is $13 in the US. That would make a lot of transistor-sized pads.

I was under the impression that Keratherm Red 86/83 (or 86/82, as sold at the Store) was the best thermal pad available. Is there a reason not to migrate to the newer thermal pads out there?

Regards.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And the update is this: the AI203 insulators arrived a few days ago. They're slightly smaller than the Keratherm Red 86/83 pads and slightly larger than TO-247 devices. They're stiff, smooth and the ones I got are very thin (0.635 mm). I had to replace sixteen TO-247 devices in one of my F5 Turbo V3 amps (eight MOSFETs, eight MUR3020 diodes) and it was pretty damn easy. None of the insulators broke and the repaired amp (and its sister) have been playing beautifully for the past few days.

Naturally, I cannot comment on the longevity of these insulators, other than to say they are sturdy and look like they'll be good for the long haul. I'm looking forward to my next amp build and the opportunity to use some more of them (the smallest order size was 150 units -- it's hard to imagine my stock will ever be depleted).

Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.