I need a terminal to solder stuff to. Do they make this part and what is it called?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have been building some amps and preamps, and some of my designs have everything soldered to panel mount components, (pots switches etc).

Basically, almost all of the circuit nodes fall on a terminal of a panel mount device, like a leg on a pot for example, but there are a few connections just hanging out in the air.

I was wondering if there is some type of terminal that can be mounted to solder some leads to. I am imagining maybe a nylon tube that you can attach to the faceplate with a screw, and has a solder post or screw you connect leads to on the other side?

I have included a drawing of what I'm thinking of of maybe there is something that mounts that just has terminal to solder to similar to the rectifier shown, only just terminals to solder to not interconnected.

Attachments

• part.png
    part.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 257
thanks everyone

These all look like great ideas. I think I may search for some "insulated turret terminals" I can just drill a hole wherever I need. There are only about 3 or 4 areas on the circuit where this is needed, but this will really come in handy. Thanks everyone!

If you need ONE terminal
In the US, get two #10 binder head machine screws, preferably stainless.
Get 3/4 " of 1/4" air tubing, preferably nylon 6/6. Comes in 100' rolls at industrial supplies. Cut off with round tubing shear (ie channllock) for best roundness.
Get a ring crimp terminal, make sure the hole is #10 or bigger (#8 is smaller, 1/4 is bigger). Cut the insulation off it.
Tap the 1/4 tubing with a 10/32 tab both ends. No drilling required on the tubing I bought.
Drill a hole in the panel to clear a #10 screw.
Screw nylon bushing to panel. Screw ring terminal to bushing. Solder or crimp item to bushing under the screw. Terminal is insulated from the panel by the tubing if long enough the screws don't touch.
Or you can make through hole terminals for #8 screws or smaller with the same tubing, no threading required. Use elastic stop nuts for best security of the screw against loosening. (Available mcmaster.com or other industrial supplies) BTW I find $5-6 packs of 100 or 50 stainless screws etc from them much cheaper than driving to the hardware/home store for their limited selection. Select the size and length for best price, usually the generic stainless is cheaper than 312. Freight will be $7 up so buy in bulk to save.
Have fun.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.