Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPI
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2018, 05:44 AM   #31
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

That's what I did to add a volume control to my 'external' DAC. I have since move on to a different setup (not so.mucg related to the relay attenuator). Let me know if you want my relay board.
Old 9th December 2018, 09:12 PM   #32
TrueReligionVinyl is offline TrueReligionVinyl
diyAudio Member

Thank you mbrennwa; I have PM'ed you.

Looking at the Volumio documentation, the graphical volume control goes from 0 to 100, but the Allo attenuator goes from 0 to 64. Has anyone tweaked the Volumio source to get a one-to-one mapping from UI to attenuator dB? I will use this for recording, so if my current level peaks at -15.6 dB, then I want to add exactly 15 dB so that my recording peaks at -0.6 dB. That means I need a one-to-one mapping from UI to attenuator level.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:02 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueReligionVinyl View Post
the graphical volume control goes from 0 to 100, but the Allo attenuator goes from 0 to 64. Has anyone tweaked the Volumio source to get a one-to-one mapping from UI to attenuator dB?

Yep, Volumio (or the corresponding plugin) does that.
Old 1st September 2019, 07:50 PM   #34
psynapse is offline psynapse  France
diyAudio Member

Default using the attenuator with Buster

My apologies for re-opening an old thread. I have one of these attenuators and am very happy with its performance. However I am not using Volumio and so the only way I have of controlling volume is through direct access over the i2c bus. I would like to tie the attenuator to the volume in MPD, but it seems to me that MPD will seek to change the volume on the DAC. Does anybody have experience of using this device through ALSA / MPD??
Old 7th September 2019, 02:26 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

What software are you using to control the attenuator? I have been completely unable to get Volumio to control it - the GUI acts as though it is controlling it, but the volume never changes. Submitting logs and posting a message to the Volumio forum doesn't seem to do very much - two months with no reply. This is with Volumio 2.587 and version 1.3 of the relay attenuator plugin.
Old 15th September 2019, 11:38 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueReligionVinyl View Post
What software are you using to control the attenuator? I have been completely unable to get Volumio to control it - the GUI acts as though it is controlling it, but the volume never changes. Submitting logs and posting a message to the Volumio forum doesn't seem to do very much - two months with no reply. This is with Volumio 2.587 and version 1.3 of the relay attenuator plugin.
I believe had to install a plugin in Volumio to make the relay attenuator work. Installing plugins can be trouble in Volumio if you changed the password of the default Volumio user.
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

I have installed the plugin, and I haven't changed the Volumio password, and I have done it multiple, multiple times, with both Volumio 2.587 and 2.632, with two different RPi 3 B+, and with two different memory cards. Every time the Volumio UI comes up in my browser and I can change the displayed volume, and the actual volume changes not at all.

Regardless of the volume setting on the UI, the resistance between input and output is 12K ohms, and the resistance between input and ground is zero ohms. So, regardless of the volume setting and regardless of the status of the Mute button, the relay attenuator is muting the input. As far as I can tell the relay attenuator is a complete waste of money. It doesn't work, and there is no support from the manufacturer.

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPIHide this!Advertise here!