Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPI
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2017, 12:47 PM   #21
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
I have a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro. It does have the holes to add a pass through pin header. But I am not sure if the necessary pins are available after the Hifiberry (will have to look it up in the Hifiberry docs). Also, the relay attenuator does not have the "full" pin header, so it's a bit unclear where to put it. Which pins are used by the attenuator?
Looking at the ALLO docs a bit more I have the impression that the J8 connector on the relay board has a completely different pinout than what's available from the RPI pin header. If I am right (which I am hopefully not), the Allo relay board will not work off the RPI pin header. If so, I'd have to fiddle around with jumper wires... is this really how it works? A bit more documentation about using the relay board off the standard RPI pin header without an Allo DAC would be in order since the first post says that this board can be used "stand alone".
Old 26th December 2017, 02:37 PM   #22
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

You seem to be right. I'd always assumed that J8 would be compatible with the RPi's GPIO header but that does not appear to be the case.

Ioan, can you confirm that?

In any case, it appears that board only needs +5V, SCK, SDA, GPIOB15 and GND to function. They should not be hard to "steal" from the RPi & DAC+ Pro.
Old 28th December 2017, 10:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
You seem to be right. I'd always assumed that J8 would be compatible with the RPi's GPIO header but that does not appear to be the case.

Ioan, can you confirm that?

In any case, it appears that board only needs +5V, SCK, SDA, GPIOB15 and GND to function. They should not be hard to "steal" from the RPi & DAC+ Pro.
Ok, I installed a pinheader to the HifiBerry and hooked up the Relay Attenuator board to +5V, SCK, SDA, GPIOB15 and GND. I installed and activated the Volumio plugin. I also disabled the software volume control in Volumio.

The relays don't respond to the Volumio volume control. I can hear the relays clicking when I connect or disconnect the 5V power, but that's about it.

Any thoughts how to debug this?
Old 28th December 2017, 11:33 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, I installed a pinheader to the HifiBerry and hooked up the Relay Attenuator board to +5V, SCK, SDA, GPIOB15 and GND.
Here's a photo of the setup. Would be cool if someone has an idea of what might be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0121.jpg (994.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 28th December 2017, 12:18 PM   #25
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's a photo of the setup. Would be cool if someone has an idea of what might be wrong.
Hi , I am checking with the team , sorry for delays .
Old 28th December 2017, 06:02 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ok, problem solved. The attenuator started to work after a few Volumio reboots. I don't really know what changed on the software side, but it works now.
Old 13th January 2018, 01:26 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I just found out that on the Allo Relay Attenuator the audio GND is connected to the digital/controller GND. That's very awkward and causes GND noise issues. Is there a way to split the two GNDs? Cut a trace on the PCB?
Old 16th January 2018, 08:21 AM   #28
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,

our dacs (and indeed all DACs) that are single ended have the digital ground and analog ground tied.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Alex013 is offline Alex013
diyAudio Member

Hi! I use Relay Attenuator. I would like to add one more relay, and get "100 real steps". I understand how to change the hardware. I need to have "100 real steps" on i2c without interpolation. Who can help me in this?

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPIHide this!Advertise here!