Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPI
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2017, 01:43 PM   #11
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Finally done. I am getting the first readings tomorrow
Old 7th April 2017, 09:35 PM   #12
blippio is offline blippio
diyAudio Member

Very interested! Please let us know how things turn out...
Old 11th April 2017, 10:38 PM   #13
NickB is offline NickB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Finally done. I am getting the first readings tomorrow
I'm looking at getting an RPI 3 + Allo Boss combo. This will be my first foray into SBC/DAC land and I'm unsure of how best to control volume if I'm going directly from the DAC analog out to a Carver solid state power amp.

From my limited reading I have a few options:

1) Software volume control - Boss analog out directly to the power amp with the application (volumio, Moode, etc.) controlling the volume.

2) Allo stepped attenuator - Boss analog out -> stepped attenuator -> power amp. Would this even work or is this attenuator just for the Allo Volt/Volt+ amp?

3) Allo LDR attenuator - Not sure I understand this concept of volume control. The way I read this, I would need a second RPI with the LDR to control the volume. So is this how the chain would look:
RPI(1) with Boss -> RPI(2) with LDR -> Power Amp.

Couple of additional questions:
Are there any other options for volume control that I'm missing?
And are any of these preferred over the others if sound quality is the primary factor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th April 2017, 08:40 AM   #14
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
I'm looking at getting an RPI 3 + Allo Boss combo. This will be my first foray into SBC/DAC land and I'm unsure of how best to control volume if I'm going directly from the DAC analog out to a Carver solid state power amp.

From my limited reading I have a few options:

1) Software volume control - Boss analog out directly to the power amp with the application (volumio, Moode, etc.) controlling the volume.

2) Allo stepped attenuator - Boss analog out -> stepped attenuator -> power amp. Would this even work or is this attenuator just for the Allo Volt/Volt+ amp?

3) Allo LDR attenuator - Not sure I understand this concept of volume control. The way I read this, I would need a second RPI with the LDR to control the volume. So is this how the chain would look:
RPI(1) with Boss -> RPI(2) with LDR -> Power Amp.

Couple of additional questions:
Are there any other options for volume control that I'm missing?
And are any of these preferred over the others if sound quality is the primary factor?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry I missed your post.

The best way to control volume depends on your setup. If you are using your own AMP , I would recommend either relay attenuator ( we should have it before end of the month on sale) or LDR . However LDR is much more expensive and needs its own SBC. Both relay attenuator and LDR will give you an excellent volume (hardware) controller.

Last edited by cdsgames; 12th April 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12th April 2017, 08:03 PM   #15
NickB is offline NickB  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response, this is helpful.
Old 25th December 2017, 10:03 AM   #16
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Hi ,

we are developing a new shield for RPI that can work either as a stand alone or to be used with allo products (DACs)
We expect them to cost less than 65$

We are using thin film resistors 0.1%

I have attached the preliminary placement.
How can I make this work as a standalone solution with Volumio (i.e., without an ALLO DAC shield)?
Old 25th December 2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Volumio is supported with the use of a plug-in developed by Allo. Take a look here: Amazon Drive
Old 25th December 2017, 03:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I know, but i don't unterstand how to make it work... Volumio runs on the RPI, which sends I2S to my DAC. How/where do I put in the attenuator to this combo such that it talks to Volumio on the same RPI?
Old 25th December 2017, 11:11 PM   #19
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

So you have a non-Allo HAT dac on top of your RPi.

Does it have a pass-through header for the RPi's GPIO? If it does, you should be able to just stack on top of it the attenuator and feed it from your dac's RCA output.
Old 26th December 2017, 12:10 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro. It does have the holes to add a pass through pin header. But I am not sure if the necessary pins are available after the Hifiberry (will have to look it up in the Hifiberry docs). Also, the relay attenuator does not have the "full" pin header, so it's a bit unclear where to put it. Which pins are used by the attenuator?

Cheap/simple relay/resistors attenuator for RPIHide this!Advertise here!