Relay with switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quick parts question. I saw a circuit with the following part description:
1. 10.5V 270 Ohm Relay with SPST 5A 220V switch
I've searched through Mouser and Digikey and can't seem to find anything like that. I may be searching for the wrong thing or searching the wrong way. Any ideas what this may be?

Thanks Rayma. I get the feeling that the SPST switch is part of the relay though. I've attached the diagram. There is a separate part number for P1, but a dotted line that looks like a switch that's part of the relay. What do you think?

Attachments

• Relay with Switch.jpg
    Relay with Switch.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 53
Joined 2011
Thanks Rayma. I get the feeling that the SPST switch is part of the relay though.
I've attached the diagram. There is a separate part number for P1, but a dotted line
that looks like a switch that's part of the relay. What do you think?

Yes, the coil and the switch are both in the same physical part, and the combination is termed a relay.
Sometimes the coil is modular so different triggering voltage coils can be substituted in the same unit.
It looks like a physically separate momentary switch P1 is connected in parallel with the relay contacts.
Make sure that the contacts of the relay that you choose are rated for at least 220VAC, and 5A.

Last edited:
A relay IS a switch, it is just activated by a magnet coil instead of your finger.

The dotted line shows the mechanical link between coil and switch contacts. On old radios and things wher you turn the volume all the way down and then click to turn off power, the schematic would have a dotted line from the power switch to the volume control.

Your initial description is unusual. usually we say a "12v relay" meaning the coil wants 12 volts. We would specify a 12v relay with contacts rated for 5A at 220v. That basic relay description might come in SPST, SPDT, DPST, DPDT versions, so that would be specified as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.